dhr. dr. A.E. (Arno) Kourula
Faculteit Economie en Bedrijfskunde
Sectie Intern. Strategy and Marketing
Plantage Muidergracht 12 Amsterdam
1001 NL Amsterdam
Assistant Professor of Strategy (tenured)
Strategy and Marketing
Base of the pyramid
Roles in interorganizational networks
Political role of corporations
Company Engagement with Nongovernmental Organizations from a Corporate Responsibility Perspective (2009; Aalto University School of Business; Helsinki, Finland)
Prizes and honours
Best Reviewer (2011) of Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management;
Scholarships from Foundation for Economic Education, Helsinki School of Economics Foundation, Jenny and Antti Wihuri Foundation, and Marcus Wallenberg Foundation
Copenhagen Business School (Denmark): Fellow (2014-2015)
Aalto University School of Business (Finland): Docent (2013-)
Stanford University (USA): Visiting Scholar (2012-2013)
Stanford University (USA): Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2010-2012)
Helsinki School of Economics / Aalto University School of Business (Finland): D.Sc. Econ in 2009
Stanford University (USA): Visiting Scholar (2008)
Invited presentations in various universities in China, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Poland and U.S.A.
Amsterdam Business School
Business and Sustainability (Master)
Integrity Workshop (MBA)
Business Ethics (Executive)
Business in Society (Research master)
Master's Thesis Supervision
Previously at Aalto University
Environment, Sustainable Development and Responsibility (Executive MBA)
Introduction to Business Law and Business Ethics (Bachelor)
International Corporate Responsibility (Master)
Workshop of Corporate Responsibility (MBA)
Master's and Bachelor's Thesis Supervision
Organisational contributions to conferences
Co-convenor of sub-theme on Creating and Sustaining Transnational Multi-Actor Governance of Corporate Conduct, EGOS 2015, Athens, Greece.
Co-organizer of pre-colloquium workshop on Academia and Civil Society: Rethinking Expectations, Practices and Tensions, EGOS 2014, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Co-organizer of pre-colloquium workshop on Debating the Future of CSR, EGOS 2013, Montreal, Canada.
Co-convenor of track at CR3 2011 conference in Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki, Finland.
Co-convenor of track at International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management (IFSAM) 2010 conference, Paris, France.
Co-organizer of Global Ethical Challenges of Finnish Corporations conference in 2010 at Aalto University School of Economics, Helsinki, Finland.
Co-convenor of track at Joint General 2008 Conference of Finnish Political Science and Sociology Associations, Rovaniemi, Finland.
Facilitator or organizing participant of 5 AoM professional development workshops.
Session chair at European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) 2014, Cross-Sector Social Interaction (CSSI) 2014, Academy of Management (AoM) 2011, European International Business Academy (EIBA) 2009, Stanford SCANCOR 20th anniversary conference 2008. Discussant at EGOS 2014, EGOS 2012, AoM 2009.
Participation in academic networks
Member (past or present) of Academy of International Business, Academy of Management, European Academy of Business in Society, European Group for Organizational Studies, International Association of Business in Society, Society for Business Ethics, and Strategic Management Society.
Membership editorial staff or referee activities
Editorial Board Member of Business & Society.
Editorial Board Member for Journal of World Business.
Senior Editor for Annual Review of Social Partnerships.
Ad hoc reviewer for Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, Business and
Professional Ethics Journal, Business Ethics Quarterly, Business & Society, California
Management Review, Ecological Economics, Ecology & Society, International Journal of
Management Reviews, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Research, Journal of
Current Chinese Affairs, Journal of Management Inquiry, Journal of Management Studies,
Journal of World Business, Long Range Planning, Management and Organization Review,
Organization, Organization & Environment, Organization Studies, Regional Studies, Socio-
Economic Review, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Scandinavian
Journal of Management, and Sustainable Development.
Reviewer for books, grant applications and conferences (AoM, SMS, AIB, IABS, EIBA; CSSI).
Best Reviewer of 2011, Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management.
Membership of academic committees (including Ph. D committees)
Society for Business Ethics best dissertation award committee chair, vice-chair and member (2012- 2015)
Dissertation co-advisor for Janni Thusgaard Pedersen, Copenhagen Business School (2010-).
Dissertation co-advisor for Eeva Houtbeckers, Aalto University School of Economics (2013-).
Dissertation co-advisor Kristjan Jespersen, Copenhagen Business School (2015-).
Dissertation committee member for Marijane Jonsson, Stockholm School of Economics (2012-).
Recruitment committee member for International Strategy and Marketing at Amsterdam Business School (2014-2015).
Examination board member for MBA and MIF programs at Amsterdam Business School (2012-2013).
Doctoral program committee member at Helsinki School of Economics (2009).
Chairman of the Board of Thesis, Helsinki School of Economics doctoral student association (2006-2008).
Board Member of AIMS, a Stanford postdoctoral association (2010-2012).
Business & Society (Editorial board member)
Journal of World Business (Editorial board member)
- Joutsevirta, M., & Kourula, A. (2015). The role of nongovernmental organizations in corporate social responsibility. In E. R. G. Pedersen (Ed.), Corporate social responsibility. (pp. 267-288). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sage. [details]
- Midttun, A., Gjølberg, M., Kourula, A., Sweet, S., & Vallentin, S. (2015). Public Policies for Corporate Social Responsibility in Four Nordic Countries: Harmony of Goals and Conflict of Means. Business & Society, 54(4), 464-500. DOI: 10.1177/0007650312450848 [details]
- Mäkinen, J., & Kourula, A. (2013). Yritysvastuun yhteiskuntafilosofiaa. In I. Niiniluoto, R. Vilkko, & J. Kuorikoski (Eds.), Talous ja filosofia. (pp. 155-167). Helsinki: Gaudeamus. [details]
- Laasonen, S., Fougère, M., & Kourula, A. (2012). Dominant articulations in academic business and society discourse on NGO-business relations: a critical assessment. Journal of Business Ethics, 109(4), 521-545. DOI: 10.1007/s10551-011-1143-z [details]
- Mäkinen, J., & Kourula, A. (2012). Pluralism in political corporate social responsibility. Business Ethics Quarterly, 22(4), 649-678. DOI: 10.5840/beq201222443 [details]
- Peterman, A., Kourula, A., & Levitt, R. (2012). A roadmap for navigating voluntary and mandated programs for building energy efficiency. Energy Policy, 43, 415-426. DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2012.01.026 [details]
- Delalieux, G., & Kourula, A. E. (2011). Nongovernmental organizations influence and capacity in management literature: The implicit influence of Tocqueville and explicit reference to Habermas. In R. Hull, J. Gibbon, O. Branzei, & H. Haugh (Eds.), The Third Sector. (pp. 57-73). (Dialogues in critical mangement studies; No. Vol. 1). Bingley, UK: Emerald. [details]
- Kourula, A. E. (2010). Corporate engagement with nongovernmental organizations in different institutional contexts: A case of a forest productys company. Journal of World Business, 45(4), 395-404. DOI: 10.1016/j.jwb.2009.08.010 [details]
- Kourula, A. E., & Laasonen, S. (2010). Nongovernmental organizations in business and society, management, and international business research: Review and implications from 1998 to 2007. Business & Society, 49(1), 35-67. DOI: 10.1177/0007650309345282 [details]
- Kourula, A. E. (2009). Company engagement with nongovernmental organizations from a corporate responsibility perspective. (Acta Universitatis Oeconomicae Helsingiensis; No. A-355). Helsinki: Helsinki School of Economics. [details]
- Kourula, A. E., & Halme, M. (2008). Types of corporate responsibility and engagement with nongovernmental organizations: An exploration of business and social outcomes. Corporate Governance, 8(4), 557-570. DOI: 10.1108/14720700810899275 [details]
- Makinen, J., & Kourula, A. E. (2008). The politics of corporate responsibility. niin & näin, 2008(4), 92-101. [details]
- Haltsonen, I., Kourula, A. E., & Salmi, A. (2007). Stakeholder pressure and socially responsible purchasing. Finance, Marketing and Production, 2007(September), 47-56. [details]
- Makinen, J., & Kourula, A. E. (2014). Globalization, National Politics and Corporate Social Responsibility. In R. Tainio, S. Merilainen, J. Makinen, & M. Laihonen (Eds.), Limits of Globalization - National Borders Still Matter. CBS Press. [details]
- Midttun, A., Gjølberg, M., Kourula, A., Sweet, S., & Vallentin, S. (2013). Public policies for corporate social responsibility in advanced welfare states. In A. Midttun (Ed.), CSR and beyond: a Nordic perspective. (pp. 261-286). Oslo: Cappelen Damm Akademisk. [details]
- Joutsenvirta, M., & Kourula, A. E. (2011). Kansalaisaktivistit yritysten vastuun asialla (Civil society activists and corporate responsibility). In M. Joutsenvirta, M. Halme, M. Jalas, & J. Makinen (Eds.), Vastuullinen liiketoiminta kansainvalisessa maailmassa (Corporate responsibility in an international world). (pp. 210-230). Helsinki: Gaudeamus. [details]
- Kourula, A. E. (2010). Finland. In W. Visser, & N. Tolhurst (Eds.), The world guide to CSR: A coutry-by-country analysis of corporate sustainability and responsibility. (pp. 151-157). Sheffield: Greenleaf. [details]
- Kourula, A. E. (2007). Finnish corporations engagement with nongovernmental organizations. In M. Kamppinen, & P. Nurmi (Eds.), Responsible business. (pp. 80-91). Turku, Finland: Turku University. [details]
- Kourula, A., & Houtbeckers, E. (2016). 10: Finland. In W. Visser (Ed.), The world guide to sustainable entrepreneurship. - Vol. 3: Europe. (pp. 85-91). Sheffield, UK: Greenleaf Publishing. [details]
- Halme, M., Kallio, G., Korsunova, A., Kourula, A. E., Lima-Toivonen, M. B., Lindeman, S., & Peltonen, T. (2010). Final report: Practices at the Base of the Pyramid - Packaging, primary education, and mass communivation practices in Brazil, India, Russia, and Tanzania. Helsinki: TEKES and Forest Cluster. [details]
- Aijala, P., Kourula, A. E., Siltanen, M., & Mustonen, E. (2006). The evaluation of Finnish NGOs development cooperation capacity. Helsinki: Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, Department for Develoment Policy. [details]
- Telford, J., Mikkola, E., Bianchi, P., & Kourula, A. E. (2005). The evaluation of Finnish humanitarian assistance 1996-2004. Helsinki: Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, Department for Development Policy. [details]
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden