mw. K. (Kristine) Krause PhD
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Anthropology of Health, Care and the Body
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Amsterdam
1001 NA Amsterdam
Kristine is a member of the Health, Care and the Body Research Group and part of the Long Term Care Partnership team.
Previously she worked at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Goettingen, coordinating a working group on medical diversity, and as a research fellow at the Humboldt University Berlin in a German Research Foundation funded project on transnational networks, religion and new migration.
Her PhD in Social Anthropology from the University of Oxford with COMPAS (Centre on Migration, Policy, and Society) was based on long-term fieldwork with migrants from Ghana in London, focusing on how legal status and transnational networks play out in what people do when they are sick. Based on this research she developed a strong interest in how health is linked to political subjectivities and dealt with across national boundaries. In the new research she wants to develop at the UvA, she will combine this interest with looking at care work in transnational contexts.
Kristine has written on transnational therapy networks, medical pluralism, transnational Pentecostalism, warehouse churches, political subjectivity and African diasporas based on research conducted in Ghana, UK and Germany. She is one of the founding editors of African Diaspora. Journal of Transnational Africa in a Global World (Brill). Next to her academic work, Kristine worked for years as an assistant to severely disabled people and in various other jobs. She thinks this made her a better researcher.
So a summary of Kristine’s interests might be: political subjectivities and health, transnational care relations and therapy networks, the intersections of medicine, religion and technology, global Pentecostalism, urban diversity and space, transnational migration, African diasporas.
- Krause, K., & van Dijk, R. (2016). Hodological Care among Ghanaian Pentecostals: De-diasporization and Belonging in Transnational Religious Networks. Diaspora. A Journal of Transnational Studies, 19(1), 97-115. [details]
- Krause, K. (2015). Orientations: moral geographies in transnational Ghanaian pentecostal networks. In S. Coleman, & R. I. J. Hackett (Eds.), The anthropology of global pentecostalism and evangelicalism. (pp. 75-92). New York, London: New York University Press. [details]
- Krause, K. (2014). Pharmaceutical potentials: praying over medicines in Pentecostal healing. Ghana Studies, 15-16, 223-250. [details]
- Krause, K. (2014). Die Bedeutung von Lokalität für die Teilhabe an multiplen Öffentlichkeiten in einer transnationalen Pfingstkirche. In C. Schmitt, & A. Vonderau (Eds.), Transnationalität und Öffentlichkeit: Interdisziplinäre Perspektiven. (pp. 55-79). Bielefeld: Transcript. [details]
- Krause, K. (2014). Space in Pentecostal healing practices among Ghanaian migrants in London. Medical Anthropology, 33(1), 37-51. DOI: 10.1080/01459740.2013.846339 [details]
- Krause, K., Parkin, D., & Alex, G. (2014). Turning therapies: placing medical diversity. Medical Anthropology, 33(1), 1-5. DOI: 10.1080/01459740.2013.829056 [details]
- van der Geest, S., & Krause, K. (2014). Introduction: Studying Health and Health Care in Ghana. Ghana Studies, 15-16, 7-39. [details] [PDF]
- Green, G., Davison, C., Bradby, H., Krause, K., Morente Mejías, F., & Alex, G. (2014). Pathways to care: how superdiversity shapes the need for navigational assistance. Sociology of Health and Illness, 36(8), 1205-1219. DOI: 10.1111/1467-9566.12161 [details]
- Krause, K. (2011). Cosmopolitan charismatics? Transnational ways of being and belonging and cosmopolitan moments in the religious practice of New Mission Churches. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 34(3), 419-435. DOI: 10.1080/01419870.2011.537355 [details]
- Krause, K., & Schramm, K. (2011). Thinking through political subjectivity. African Diaspora, 4(2), 115-134. DOI: 10.1163/187254611X607741 [details] [PDF]
- Zanini, G., Raffaetà, R., Krause, K., & Alex, G. (2013). Transnational medical spaces: opportunities and restrictions. (MMG Working Paper; No. 13-16). Göttingen: Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity. [details / files]
- Bradby, H., & Krause, K. (2013). Medical Migration. Paper presented at Medical Migration Symposium, . [details]
- Krause, K. (organiser) (31-7-2014 - 3-8-2014): Collaboration, Intimacy & Revolution - innovation and continuity in an interconnected world, Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Estonian Institute of Humanities, Tallinn University, Estonia (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- Krause, K. (speaker) (23-6-2014): Therapeutic itineraries and politics of belonging in the context of superdiversity, Superdiversity: Theory, Method and Practice, University of Birmingham.
- Krause, K. (editor) (2014): Medical Anthropology (Journal).
- Krause, K. (editor) (2013): Anthropology & Medicine (Journal).
- Krause, K. (editor) (2013): Ghana Studies (Journal).
- Krause, K. (editor) (2011): African Diaspora (Journal).
- Hüwelmeier, G., & Krause, K. (2010). Traveling spirits: migrants, markets and mobilities. (Routledge studies in anthropology). London: Routledge. [details]
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden