dhr. dr. C. (Christian) Lennartz
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Urban Geographies
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Amsterdam
1001 NC Amsterdam
Christian is a Postdoctoral Researcher in the ERC funded 'HOUWEL' project at the Centre for Urban Studies and the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research, University of Amsterdam. He holds a PhD in Housing Studies and an MA (Magister Artium) degree in Economic Geography.
His main research interests are in the relationship between housing systems and the Welfare State, housing as social policy, homeownership access, the housing trajectories of younger adults, and the family home as a welfare resource. He applies both qualitative and quantitative research techniques in his work, working with European household-level datasets, aggregate policy indicators, and in-depth interviews. Christian supervises students in their Master and Bachelor degree dissertations and lectures in the Bachelor curriculum of social geography and planning.
HOUWEL - Housing markets and welfare state transformations: How family housing property is reshaping welfare regimes
This ERC-funded project investigates how the growing reliance on housing markets and family property wealth in meeting welfare and security needs is transforming contemporary welfare states. Home ownership normally constitutes a primary family node for the delivery and exchange of shelter, informal care and asset wealth, potentially reducing household dependency on the state. Different modes of housing thereby influence welfare system development overall. In recent decades, governments have encouraged home purchase as a means for households to accumulate housing assets, thereby insuring themselves against hardship. Meanwhile, increasing market values have enhanced perceptions of housing property as a form of social security. Welfare regimes have thus been undergoing realignment with growing emphasis on the extension of markets and individual responsibility in satisfying needs. Understanding of the role of housing tenure in welfare regimes or the impact of housing markets on welfare systems is, however, poorly developed. Within the wider research project, Christian's work is on the societal and political aspects of the changing housing/welfare state relationship (Subproject I), and the linkages between housing trajectories and family relations in different welfare regimes (Subprojects II and III).
2012 - now Postdoctoral Fellow at the Centre for Urban Studies, AISSR, University of Amsterdam
2008 - 2012 Doctoral thesis 'Competition between Social and Private Rental Housing' at the OTB Research Institute for the Built Evironment, TU Delft
2002 - 2008 Magister Artium in Economic Geography (major), Economics and Sociology (minors), RWTH Aachen University, Faculty of Geosciences and Geography
2006 Exchange student with the ERASMUS Programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University of Prague, Czech Republic
2006 Exchange student at the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Maastricht
- Lennartz, C. (2016). Rivalry between social and private landlords in local rental housing markets. Urban Studies, 53(11), 2293-2311. DOI: 10.1177/0042098015592818 [details]
- Lennartz, C., Arundel, R. I. M., & Ronald, R. (2016). Young people and homeownership in Europe through the Global Financial Crisis. Population Space and Place, 22(8), 823-835. [details]
- Lennartz, C., Arundel, R., & Ronald, R. (2016). Younger adults and homeownership in Europe through the global financial crisis. Population Space and Place, 22(8), 823-835. DOI: 10.1002/psp.1961 [details]
- Lennartz, C., Haffner, M. E. A., & Oxley, M. (2012). Competition between social and market renting: A theoretical application of the Structure-Conduct-Performance paradigm. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 27(4), 453-471. . [details]
- Dol, C. P., Lennartz, C., & de Decker, P. (2012). Self-Provided Housing in Developed Societies. In International Encyclopedia of Housing and Home. (pp. 310-315). Oxford: Elsevier. [details]
- Lennartz, C. (2011). Power Structures and Privatization across Integrated Rental Markets: Exploring the Cleavage between Typologies of Welfare Regimes and Housing Systems. Housing, Theory and Society, 28(4), 342-359. [details]
- Haffner, M. E. A., Lennartz, C., & Dol, C. P. (2012). Measuring housing performance? Is a composite indicator a useful instrument? In M. Stephens, & M. Norris (Eds.), Comparative Housing Research Workshop New Lanark. (pp. 1-22). New Lanark. [details]
- Lennartz, C. (2012). A Review of "Towards a Sustainable Private Rented Sector. The Lessons from other Countries" [Review of: K Scanlon, B Kochan (2011) Towards a Sustainable Private Rented Sector. The Lessons from other Countries]. International Journal of Housing Policy, 12(3), 388-390. [details]
- Haffner, M. E. A., Lennartz, C., & Dol, C. P. (2012). Housing. In Countries compared on public performance - a study of public sector performance in 28 countries. (pp. 286-318). Den Haag: Ministerie van BZK. [details]
- Lennartz, C. (2011). Vincent Gruis, Sasha Tsenkova & Nico Nieboer (eds), Management of privatised housing: international policies & practice [Review of: (2009) Management of privatised housing: international policies & practice]. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 26(3), 386-391. [details]
- Dol, C. P., de Decker, P., & Lennartz, C. (2011). Particulier opdrachtgeverschap bij de buren is vooral anders. Tijdschrift voor de Volkshuisvesting, 17(3), 37-41. [details]
- Ronald, R., Lennartz, C., & Kadi, J. (2015). What Ever Happened to Asset Based Welfare? Shifting Approaches to Housing Wealth and Welfare Security. (HOUWEL; No. 7). Amsterdam: Centre for Urban Studies. [details]
- Lennartz, C. (2011): Bengt Turner Award of the European Network for Housing Research for the Best Paper of a Young Housing Researcher in 2011.
- Arundel, R.I.M. (invited speaker) & Lennartz, C. (invited speaker) (1-7-2014): Shared housing strategies among young people and the economic recession in Europe, European Network of Housing Researchers (ENHR) Conference, Edinburgh, UK.
- Arundel, R.I.M. (invited speaker) & Lennartz, C. (invited speaker) (13-7-2014): Housing and the crisis: Changing housing positions of younger households in Europe?, International Sociological Association World Congress of Sociology Conference, Yokohama, Japan.
- Ronald, R. (invited speaker), Lennartz, C. (invited speaker) & Arundel, R.I.M. (invited speaker) (24-6-2014): How housing markets are reshaping welfare states, Internationale Lunchlezing, Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations of The Netherlands.
- Arundel, R.I.M. (invited speaker) & Lennartz, C. (invited speaker) (1-4-2013): Intergenerational wealth transfers and family support in shaping household housing positions within different welfare regime contexts, Housing Studies Association Conference 2013, University of York, UK.
- Arundel, R.I.M. (invited speaker) & Lennartz, C. (invited speaker) (11-7-2013): The role of intergenerational wealth transfers and family support in shaping housing positions, International Sociological Association Research Committee 43 on Housing and the Built Environment, Amsterdam, NL.
- Lennartz, C. (invited speaker) & Arundel, R.I.M. (invited speaker) (10-7-2013): Changing housing positions of younger households in Europe?, International Sociological Association Research Committee 43 on Housing and the Built Environment, Amsterdam, NL.
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden