mw. dr. T.A. (Mieke) Lopes Cardozo
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Governance and Inclusive Development
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Amsterdam
1001 NC Amsterdam
Assistant Professor International Development Studies
Dr. Mieke Lopes Cardozo is currently employed as assistant professor at the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research of the University of Amsterdam. She is the coordinator of the 'IS-Academie' co-funded research project of the University of Amsterdam and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Her work is focused in the area of Education and International Development. Mieke teaches in the BA and MA academic programme International Development Studies, and is specialized in the field of Education and International Development. She is a visiting fellow at the University of Auckland (2013), University of Sussex (2012-2014), and the University of Malta (2014). She leads a Research Consortium on Education, Social Justice and Peacebuilding in collaboration with the University of Sussex and the University of Ulster. She is currently also involved in an EU funded Life Long Learning development programme for a joint Masters on Global Education Policies (GLOBED). Mieke is a board member of the Netherlands Association for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (NALACS) and the Amsterdam Research Centre on Gender and Sexuality (ARC-GS).
Formerly, she studied International Relations and Conflict Studies at the University of Utrecht, and completed a Msc in International Development Studies at the University of Amsterdam. Before entering an academic career, Mieke worked at UNICEF in the Netherlands (communication and education department). Combining her academic backgrounds, the area of Peace/Conflict and Educational Development has been a continuous area of interest and research. Mieke focused her doctoral research (2007-2011) on teachers and social change in Bolivia, and studied education in Sri Lanka. She is currently involved in a joint research project on peacebuilding and education in conflict-affected regions of Indonesia.
International Development & Education, Peace & Conflict Studies, Peacebuilding & Educationm, Teacher Education, Teachers' motivations, roles and identities, Bolivia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia
- PhD University of Amsterdam - Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research - International Development Studies (May 2007-April 2011)
- CERES PhD training (march-June 2007)
- Centrum voor Nascholing Amsterdam/UvA, Certification for academic lecturers (part I 2009, Part II and assessment 2012)
- University of Amsterdam - Vista Foundation, documentary making for social scientists course (August 2007)
- Msc International Development Studies 2005-2006 (Cum Laude)
University of Amsterdam/ International School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Specialisation: Education and Development.
Fieldwork and thesis on Peace Education in Sri Lanka.
- BA History of International Relations
2001- 2005 University of Utrecht
Minors: Conflict Studies, International Development Studies, Latin America Studies.
- Assistant professor in International Development studies (May 2012 - present)
- Coordinator IS Academie research programme (March 2012 - present)
- Certified yoga teacher: Yoga Opens Up (November 2012-present)
- Postdoc Lecturer and Researcher IS Academie, in International Development Studies (May 2011 - May 2012)
- University ofAmsterdam, PhD candidate, IS Academie (May 2007 - May 2011).
- University of Amsterdam, research assistant, Conference on Education and Conflict (January - April 2007).
- Freelance writer and editor (2006 - 2007)
- UNICEF Netherlands (January 2005 - December 2006):
o Editorial work for the Youth and Education section. Developing teacher guides and educational material for Dutch schoolchildren on development issues.
o Editorial work for the Communications section.
- UNICEF Netherlands, internship at the Youth and Education section (September-December 2004).
- Türk Kültür Merkezi Utrecht/ Studiekring Utrecht, language and maths tutor for primary school students (2003-2004).
Dutch - mother tongue; English - fluent; Spanish - fluent; French and German - basic knowledge.
Winning essay of the Heilige Huisjes 2009 Essay competition organised by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Onze Wereld.
For PDFs or links to recent publications please visit the Education and Development Blog: http://educationanddevelopment.wordpress.com/members/mieke-lopes-cardozo/
- populair wetenschappelijk(3)
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2015). Bolivian teachers’ agency: soldiers of liberation or guards of coloniality and continuation? Education Policy Analysis Archives, 23 (4). doi: 10.14507/epaa.v23.1713[go to publisher's site]
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & C.C.M.Q. Hoeks (2015). Losing ground: a critical analysis of teachers' agency for peacebuilding education in Sri Lanka. Journal of Peace Education, 12 (1), 56-73. doi: 10.1080/17400201.2014.940516[go to publisher's site]
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo, J. Sawyer & M.L. Talavera Simoni (2015). Machismo and Mamitas at school: exploring the agency of teachers for social gender justice in Bolivian education. European Journal of Development Research, 27 (4), 574-588. doi: 10.1057/ejdr.2015.51[go to publisher's site]
- R. Shah & M. Lopes Cardozo (2014). Education and social change in post-conflict and post-disaster Aceh, Indonesia. International Journal of Educational Development, 38, 2-12. doi: 10.1016/j.ijedudev.2014.06.005[go to publisher's site]
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2013). Decolonising Bolivian education: ideology versus reality. In T.G. Griffiths & Z. Millei (Eds.), Logics of socialist education: engaging with crisis, insecurity and uncertainty (Explorations of educational purpose, 24) (pp. 21-36). Dordrecht: Springer.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2013). A Critical Theoretical Perspective on Education and Social Change in Bolivia: A Contested Alternative Pedagogy. In S.C. Motta & M. Cole (Eds.), Education and social change in Latin America (Marxism and education) (pp. 89-106). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2013). Turbulence in Bolivia's normales: teacher education as a socio-political battlefield. Prospects, 43 (1), 17-34. doi: 10.1007/s11125-012-9256-4
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & J.A.S. Strauss (2013). From the local to the regional and back: Bolivia’s politics of decolonizing education in the context of the ALBA-TCP. In T. Muhr (Ed.), Counter-Globalization and Socialism in the 21st Century: The Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (Rethinking Globalizations, 45) (pp. 203-218). London: Routledge.
- M. Novelli & M. Lopes Cardozo (2012). Globalizing educational interventions in zones of conflict: the role of Dutch aid to education and conflict. In A. Verger, M. Novelli & H.A. Altinyelken (Eds.), Global education policy and international development: new agendas, issues and policies (pp. 223-244). London: Bloomsbury.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2012). Transforming pre-service teacher education in Bolivia: from indigenous denial to decolonisation? Compare - A Journal of Comparative and International Education, 42 (5), 751-772. doi: 10.1080/03057925.2012.696040
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & A. May (2009). Teaching for peace - overcoming division? Peace education in reconciliation processes in Sri Lanka and Uganda. In S. Nicolai (Ed.), Opportunities for change. Education innovation and reform during and after conflict (pp. 201-217). Paris: IIEP UNESCO.
- M. Lopes Cardozo (2009). Teachers in a Bolivian context of conflict: actors for or against change? Globalisation, Societies and Education, 7 (4), 409-432. doi: 10.1080/14767720903412226[go to publisher's site]
- M. Novelli & M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2008). Conflict, education and the global south: New critical directions. International Journal of Educational Development, 28 (4), 473-488. doi: 10.1016/j.ijedudev.2008.01.004
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2008). Sri Lanka: In peace or in pieces? A critical approach to peace education in Sri Lanka. Research in Comparative and International Education, 3 (1), 19-35. doi: 10.2304/rcie.2008.3.1.19
- M. Lopes Cardozo, S. Higgins, E. Maber, C.O. Brandt, N. Kusmallah & M.L.J. Le Mat (2015). Literature review: Youth agency, peacebuilding and education. (extern rapport). Amsterdam: Research Consortium on Education and Peacebuilding, University of Amsterdam.[go to publisher's site]
- M. Novelli, M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & A. Smith (2015). A Theoretical Framework for Analysing the Contribution of Education to Sustainable Peacebuilding: 4Rs in Conflict-Affected Contexts. : Research Consortium Education and Peacebuilding/University of Amsterdam.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2015). Education as a stronghold? The ambiguous connections between education, resilience and peacebuilding. (blog). Geneva: NORRAG. (available: 19 feb 2015). [go to publisher's site]
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & R. Shah (2015). Situating studies of education and conflict within the evolving field of comparative and international education: past, present and future. In Z. Gross & L. Davies (Eds.), The contested role of education in conflict and fragility (The World Council of Comparative Education Societies, series 3, vol. 1) (pp. 249-255). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.[go to publisher's site]
- R. Shah & M. Lopes Cardozo (2015). The politics of education in emergencies and conflict. In T. McCowan & E. Unterhalter (Eds.), Education and international development: an introduction (pp. 181-200). London: Bloomsbury Academic.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2012). Decolonising the education system in Bolivia: ‘vivir bien’ through education? In Netherlands Association for Latin American and Caribbean Studies Conference, Amsterdam.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2012). Los futuros maestros y el cambio social en Bolivia: entre la descolonización y las movilizaciones. La Paz: PIEB (Programa de Investigación Estratégica en Bolivia).
- M. Lopes Cardozo, F. Fritsch & T. Niskanen (2015). [Review of the book Schools for Conflict or for Peace in Afghanistan]. South Asia Journal, 38(4), 852-853.[go to publisher's site]
- M. Lopes Cardozo (2009). De onderwijzer, een onmisbare schakel. Onze Wereld, 52 (7/8), 36-37.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2009). Onderwijzen is meer dan lesgeven alleen. In Heilige Huisjes 2009: Een frisse blik op ontwikkelingssamenwerking (pp. 34-41). Den Haag: Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken, IS-academie.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & A. May (2009). Teaching for peace - overcoming division? Peace education in reconciliation processes in Sri Lanka and Uganda. In S. Nicolai (Ed.), Opportunities for change: Education innovation and reform during and after conflict (Education in emergencies and reconstruction) (pp. 201-217). Paris: UNESCO/IIEP.
- M. Lopes Cardozo (2008). De onechte wereld van het schoolboek. In Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken (Ed.), Heilige huisjes: anders kijken naar internationale samenwerking (pp. 18-28). Den Haag: IS Academie & Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & R. Schreinemachers (2013). It’s the education, stupid! Waarom onderwijs op de Nederlandse ontwikkelingsagenda moet blijven. (blog). One World.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & R. Shah (2013). The right to education in situations of conflict-affected and fragile states - a post-2015 priority? (blog). NORRAG.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & R. Schreinemachers (2013). Education: Who cares? (blog). DevEd.
- T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2011, October 21). Future teachers and social change in Bolivia: between decolonisation and demonstration. Universiteit van Amsterdam (xviii, 297 pag.) (Delft: Eburon). Supervisor(s): M. Baud & dr. M. Novelli.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2009). 'Investeren in leerkrachten: onderwijzen is meer dan lesgeven alleen'. Winning essay of the Heilige Huisjes essay competition, organised by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the journal Onze Werled: The Hague (2009, June 24). Recognition.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (period: 2014 till 2014). Member - Working Group on Education and Fragility of the International Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE).
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (period: 2013 till 2013). Coordinating member in a new join Master programme GLOBED - European Comission.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (period: 2013 till 2013). Visiting Research Fellow - University of Auckland, Faculty of Education.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (period: 2013 till 2013). Invited Member - NORRAG Policy seminar on Education and Conflict.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (period: 2013 till 2013). Member of a Working group on the ‘Comprehensive Approach’ - Dutch Knowledge forum Security and Rule of Law.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (period: 2013 till 2013). International Coordinating Convenor - the XV World Congress on Comparative Education Societies in Buenos Aires.
- T. Pheral, M. Novelli, M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo, R. Shah & E. Selenica (2014). Open Conference Meeting: Network for Research in Education, Conflict and Emergencies. BAICE conference: .
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & J.M. Zoetelief (2012). Futures of Education and Development Panel 1 (Education Forces in Latin America) and Panel 2 (Peace, Conflict and Security). CERES Summerschool: Amsterdam (2012, June 25 - 2012, June 26).
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2011). Coordinator/organisation. International Seminar Education and International Development - Why Research Matters: (2011, September 29 - 2011, September 30).
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2015, August 20). Reviewing recent debates on youth agency, education and peacebuilding. Amman, UN Global Forum on Youth and Security.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & J. Carapic (2015, October 21). Education, urban violence, and youth: exploring pathways or roadblocks for peace in the city. UNHCR HQ, Geneva, INEE Symposium, Education, Urban Violence and Countering Violent Extremism.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo (2014, April 3). Education and peacebuilding in post-conflict and post-tsunami Aceh, Indonesia. Institute of Education, University of London, Invited lecture as part of 'Education in Conflict and Emergencies seminar series'.
- M.T.A. Lopes Cardozo & M. Novelli (2012, October 12). Workshop on Education, Securitization and Development. London, United Kingdom, UKFIET student conference.