dhr. dr. G.M. (Gene) Moore
Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
Capaciteitsgroep Engelse taal en cultuur
Spuistraat 134 Amsterdam
1012 VB Amsterdam
Modernism, advanced courses in Conrad and Faulkner, 19th-century American Literature, British and American Culture, Literature in Theory, Shakespeare
Dr. Gene M. Moore holds a B.A. in English from Yale University (1969) and a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from the University of Texas at Austin (1978). Before coming to the Netherlands, he taught French and German language and literature at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia.
My main research interests are in modernism and literary
theory, with particular attention to the works of Joseph Conrad
and William Faulkner. Other interests include narratology, film
adaptation, textual editing, and historical research.
I was co-editor of the last two volumes of The Collected Letters of Joseph Conrad (Cambridge UP, 2007), and edited Conrad's last novel, Suspense (2011), for the Cambridge edition. Other publications include Proust and Musil: The Novel as Research Instrument (Garland, 1985), Conrad's Cities (Rodopi, 1992), and Conrad on Film (Cambridge UP, 1997).
I also co-authored the Oxford Reader's Companion to Conrad (Oxford, 2000), and published a casebook on Heart of Darkness with Oxford University Press (2004). More recent publications include two articles on film adaptation and endings published in Italian and French translations (2011).
For seventeen years I was a Contributing Editor to The Conradian: Journal of the Joseph Conrad Society (U.K.), and I have edited a special issue of The Faulkner Journal on the subject of "Faulkner's 'Indians.'"
In November 2007 I was curator of a Conrad film season at the National Film Theatre in London. In 2009 I catalogued the archive of Conrad scholar Hans van Marle and delivered it to Special Collections at the Senate House Library, University of London.
BOOKS AND EDITED VOLUMES:
Joseph Conrad: Suspense , The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Joseph Conrad, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010, lii + 358pp.
The Collected Letters of Joseph Conrad , vol. 8: 1923-1924 (co-editor: Laurence Davies), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007, lxxii + 426pp.
The Collected Letters of Joseph Conrad , vol. 9: Uncollected Letters and Indexes (co-editors: Laurence Davies, Owen Knowles, and J. H. Stape), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007, xlviii + 384pp.
A Joseph Conrad Archive: The Letters and Papers of Hans van Marle , a special issue of The Conradian 30:2 (Autumn 2005), 172pp.
Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness: A Casebook . New York : Oxford University Press, 2004, 280pp.
Faulkner's Indians , a special issue of The Faulkner Journal 18:1&2 (Fall 2002/Spring 2003), 196pp.
The Oxford Reader's Companion to Conrad . Oxford Author Companions Series. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000, xxxii + 429pp. (co-author: Owen Knowles). Revised edition in paperback 2001, xxxviii + 474pp.
Conrad onFilm . Cambridge: CambridgeUniversity Press, 1997, xvi+ 262pp. Paperback edition published July 2006.
Conrad's Cities: Essays for Hans van Marle . Costerus New Series 82. Amsterdam and Atlanta, GA: Rodopi, 1992, 291pp.
Proust and Musil: The Novel as Research Instrument . Garland Series in Comparative Literature. New York and London: Garland Publishing Inc., 1985, iv + 134pp.
SELECTED ARTICLES, CHAPTERS, AND NOTES:
"Problemi di chiusura in Cuore di tenebra e Apocalypse Now ," in Luigi Cimmino et al. , eds., Dal Cuore della tenebra all'Apocalisse: Francis Ford Coppola legge Joseph Conrad (Soveria Mannelli: Rubbettino, 2011), 73-84.
"Les Modes de conclusion dans Victory , de Joseph Conrad," in Ariane Hudelet and Shannon Wells-Lassagne, eds., De la page blanche aux salles obscures: Adaptation et réadaptation dans le monde anglophone. Collection "Le Spectatulaire," Série "Cinéma."(Rennes: Presses Universitaires de Rennes, 2011), 209-22.
"Ford as Editor in Joseph Conrad's 'The Planter of Malata,'" in Jason Harding, ed., Ford Madox Ford, Modernist Magazines and Editing , International Ford Madox Ford Studies 9 (Amsterdam : Rodopi, 2010), 53-66.
"Letters," in Joseph Conrad in Context , ed. Allan H. Simmons (Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2009), 26-32.
"Samburan through the Looking Glass: East and West in Joseph Conrad's Victory ," Anglistica Pisana 6:1 (2009), 213-15.
" The Portrait : Ford's Chef-d'oeuvre inconnu ," in Laura Colombino, ed., Ford Madox Ford and Visual Culture , International Ford MadoxFord Studies 8 (Amsterdam : Rodopi, 2009), 109-17.
"Who Are the Alfuros?" Conradiana: A Journal of Joseph Conrad Studies 39:3 (Fall 2007), 198-210.
"Exiles of the heart: Conrad on Screen / Film Season," BFI Southbank Guide , November 2007 (London : British Film Institute), 36-40.
"The End of the Line in ' Pennsylvania Station,'" The Faulkner Journal 23:1 (Fall 2007), 27-36.
"Slavery and Racism in Joseph Conrad's Eastern World," Journal of Modern Literature 30:4 (Summer 2007), 20-38.
"Of Time and Its Mathematical Progression: Problems of Chronology in Faulkner's 'A Rose for Emily,'" Studies in Short Fiction 29:2 (Spring 1992), 195-204. Reprinted in The Norton Introduction to Literature , 7th ed., ed. Jerome Beaty and J. Paul Hunter (New York: Norton, 1998), 536-42, and in The Norton Introduction to Literature , Shorter 7th ed., ed. Jerome Beaty and J. Paul Hunter (New York: Norton, 1998), 465-71. Also reprinted in William Faulkner: "A Rose for Emily," contributing ed. Noel Polk, Harcourt Casebook Series in Literature (Fort Worth etc.: Harcourt College Publishers, 2000), 127-36.
"The Absent Narrator of Proust's Recherche ," in French Review , 57: 5 (April 1984), 607-16.
"The Tory in a Time of Change: Social Aspects of Ford Madox Ford's Parade's End ," in Twentieth Century Literature , 28:1 (Spring 1982), 49-68.
"Joseph Conrad in Amsterdam," Amsterdam, 7-9 July 2005, co-sponsored by the Joseph Conrad Society (UK), theEnglish Department at the UvA, and the NederlandsScheepvaartmuseum, with additionalsupport from ASCA and NWO. Website at home.hum.uva.nl/conrad .
- Moore, G. M. (2011). Joseph Conrad. Suspense. (The Cambridge edition of the works of Joseph Conrad). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2011). Les modes de conclusion dans Victory, de Joseph Conrad. In A. Hudelet, & S. Wells-Lassagne (Eds.), De la page blanche aux salles obscures: adaptation et réadaptation dans le monde anglophone. (pp. 209-222). (Collection "Le Spectaculaire". Série Cinéma). Rennes: Press Universitaires de Rennes. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2011). Problemi di chiusura in Cuore di tenebra e Apocalypse Now. In L. Cimmino, D. Dottorini, & G. Pangaro (Eds.), Dal Cuore della tenebra all'apocalisse: Francis Ford Coppola legge Joseph Conrad. (pp. 73-84). (Cinema: Passaggi di confine). Soveria Mannelli: Rubbettino. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2010). Ford as Editor in Joseph Conrad's "The Planter of Malata". In J. Harding (Ed.), Ford Madox Ford, modernist magazines and editing. (pp. 53-66). (International Ford Madox Ford studies; No. 9). Amsterdam [etc.]: Rodopi. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2009). 'The Portrait': Ford's chef-d'oeuvre inconnu. In L. Colombino (Ed.), Ford Madox Ford and visual culture. (pp. 109-117). (International Ford Madox Ford studies; No. 8). Amsterdam: Rodopi. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2009). Samburan through the looking glass: East and West in Joseph Conrad's 'Victory'. Anglistica Pisana, 6(1-2), 213-215. [details / files]
- Moore, G. M. (2009). Letters. In A. Simmons (Ed.), Joseph Conrad in context. (pp. 26-32). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2007). Slavery and Racism in Joseph Conrad's Eastern World. Journal of Modern Literature, 30(4), 20-38. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2007). The Collected Letters of Joseph Conrad, vol.9: Uncollected letters and Indexes. cambridge: Cambridge University Press. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2007). The End of the Line in "Pennsylvania Station''. The Faulkner Journal, 23(1), 27-36. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2007). Who are the Alfuros ? Conradiana, 39(3). [details]
- Moore, G. M., & Davies, L. (2007). The Collected Letters of Joseph Conrad, vol. 8: 1923- 1924. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. [details]
- Moore, G. M. (2007). Exiles of the Heart (filmseason: Conrad on screen ). BFI Southbank Guide, 36-40. [details]