mw. N. (Nur) Ozgenalp
Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
Capaciteitsgroep Media & Cultuur
Turfdraagsterpad 9 Amsterdam
1012 XT Amsterdam
- Profile / Education / Filmography
- Teaching Appointments / Academic Work
- Publications / Lectures / Presentations
- Workshops / Academic Activities
Nur Özgenalp is a PhD Researcher at Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis. She is a Film and Television Studies scholar. Her PhD project concentrates on cultural, political, and social transformations by examining storytelling elements of television series and fiction film in relation to macropolitical movements. She is extensively experienced in filmmaking, screenwriting, and journalism as well as academia.
2010 – date: PhD, ASCA, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam.
promoter: Prof. Dr. Patricia Pisters
provisional doctoral thesis title: Televisual-image: Micropolitics of serial storytelling
2009 – 2010: PhD research, Cinema and Media Studies, with bursary, Bahcesehir University, Istanbul.
promoter: Prof. Dr. Selim Eyuboglu
provisional doctoral thesis title: Cyborgization and Decyborgization
2003 – 2006: MA, Film and Television, Teaching Assistant Fellowship, Istanbul Bilgi University,
promoter: Prof. Dr. Tuna Erdem
1996 – 2002: BA, Cinema-TV (Film Making), Mimar Sinan University, Istanbul.
1993 – 1996: Associate's degree, Italian Language and Literature, Istanbul University, Istanbul.
Waiting for Rocko (2004)
Walls (2002); film screenings: Walls, Filmmor Women’s Films Festival 2004; METU Film Festival 2004
The Stick (2000)
The Chest (2000)
Virtual Reality (1999)
2015 – date: Lecturer, SAE, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Editing Theory and History
Influential Directors and Influential Films
Sound and Image
Student Films Evaluations
2012 – 2015: Coordinator, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
ASCA Deleuze Reading Group
Annual ASCA Deleuze Conference
2008 – 2012: Lecturer, Izmir University of Economics, Izmir, Turkey.
Media, Culture, and Technology
Film History and Aesthetics
Cinema in Turkey
2008 – 2012: Lecturer, Academy Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey.
History of Cinema
2010 – 2010: Research project assistant, The Scientific and Technological Council of Turkey, Ankara, Izmir, Istanbul, Turkey.
Project title: The Legislation and Inspection Activities and Roles of Female Deputies in Turkey 1935–2007.
2008 – 2010: Teaching assistant, Adler International Learning Program, Istanbul, Turkey.
Guest lecturer, Support for Modern Life Association, Istanbul, Turkey.
2003 – 2004: Teaching assistant, Department of TV Journalism, Istanbul Bilgi University, Istanbul, Turkey.
Audio-Visual Communication Techniques
Comparative Broadcasting Practices
Special Topics in Television Programming
Thesis Writing and Thesis Project
- ‘Lütfen, hafızanızdaki siyasi tarih boşluklarını dizilerle doldurun! - 2000 sonrası Türkiye’de televizyon dizilerinde nostalji’ (‘Please fill the blanks of political history in your memory with television series – Nostalgia in Turkish television series after 2000’) New directions in Turkish film studies XII, Cinema and Memory (ed.) Deniz Bayrakdar. Baglam Publishing, 2016. (ISBN: 9786059911191)
- ‘Zombie Narratives: Critics on Capitalism from Dawn of the Dead to Resident Evil’ International Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology Vol.XV, No.6, 2012.
- ‘Little Mermaids Swimming in the Patriarchal Seas’ Monsters and the Monstrous: Myths and Metaphors of Enduring Evil (ed.) Paul Yoder and Peter Mario Kreuter, 2nd Edition, 2004. E-book. (ISBN: 1-904710-21-2)
Lectures and Presentations (Selection)
- ‘Jon Snow and Daenerys Targeryan vote for the HDP: Micro- and macro-politics of becoming-other’ Coils of Politics and Aesthetics, International ASCA Deleuze Conference, UvA, July 2015.
- ‘Televisual Resistance: Political potentials of television series’ Artistic practice as an alternative to news media, Carism, Paris 2, June 2015.
- ‘Cinematic storytelling: Film as a language system’ Film Seminar, SAE Institute Amsterdam, February 2015.
- ‘Becoming-woman in Once upon a time: Feminist practices on television’ LUCAS Graduate Conference 2015, Breaking the Rules! Cultural Reflections on Political, Religious and Aesthetic Transgressions. Leiden, January 2015.
- ‘Resisting brains: Neuro-politics of Dollhouse’ The 2014 ASCA International Conference and Workshop, Amsterdam, April 2014.
- ‘Echoing brains and bodies: Memory politics of Dollhouse’ Film- Philosophy Conference: Beyond Film, Amsterdam, July 2013.
- ‘Neither here nor there: Opening titles on the fringes’ The 2013 ASCA International Conference and Workshop: “Practicing Theory”, Amsterdam, April 2013.
- ‘Fringe Memories’ The NECS 2012 Conference: Time Networks: Screen Media and Memory, Lisbon, June 2012.
- ‘Do not forget to take your daily violence by watching television series today!’ The 3rd Biennial Gender Studies Conference, International Conference on Gender / Violence, Izmir University of Economics, Izmir, April 2012.
- ‘Slow and close journeys in high-speed and far away space’ The 2012 ASCA International Conference and Workshop: “Practicing Theory”, Amsterdam, March 2012.
- ‘The lightness of being somebody else’ UvA 2011 Graduate Student Conference - What Happens Next: The Mechanics of Serialization, University of Amsterdam, March 2011.
- ‘Forgetting and Remembering the Unfinished Business’ The 2011 ASCA International Conference and Workshop: “Practicing Theory”, Amsterdam, March 2011.
Workshop and Academic Activities (Selection)
- Organizer, The Annual National Deleuze Scholarship Conference: Machinic Ecologies, UvA, 2016
- Organizer, International ASCA Deleuze Conference, UvA, 2014 and 2015.
- Organizer, ASCA/NICA Masterclass with John Protevi, UvA, 2015.
- Participant, Deleuze Camps, Lisbon 2013 and Istanbul 2014.
- Participant in 2011 and 2013, Presenter in 2014, Magis International Film Studies Spring School, Udine and Gorizia, 2011 – 2014.
- Director, BilgiTV, Istanbul Bilgi University, 2003 – 2004.
- Academic representative, Social Sciences Institute, Istanbul Bilgi University, 2003-2004.
- Coordinator of the Film Group and Participant in Fine Arts Group ‘Ecoart’ Workshop, Sicily, 1998.
- Drama group participant, ‘Efetto Venezia’, Livorno Festival, Livorno, Italy, 1997.
- Participant, Cinema Project, Legambiente International Youth Camp, Rome, Italy, 1997.
- Participant, Cinema Project, ‘Hai Visto Quinto’, Rome, Italy, 1997.
- Participant, Z1 Film Workshop, Istanbul 1996.
- Participant, Scriptwriting Workshop with Safa Onal OKM, Istanbul University, 1995.
- Participant, Cinema Club, OKM, Istanbul University, 1995.
- Participant, Photography Club, OKM, Istanbul University, 1995.
- Director of the play, Mahmud ile Yezida by Murathan Mungan, Drama Club, OKM, Istanbul University, 1994.
- Representative, from Turkey, Lions Exchange Program, Sicily, Italy, 1992.
- Ozgenalp, N. (2004). "Little Mermaids Swimming in the Patriarchal Seas". In P. Yoder, & P. M. Kreuter (Eds.), Monsters and the Monstrous: Myths and Metaphors of Enduring Evil. [details]