4D Research Lab: Call for Proposals
To celebrate the launch of the new 4D Research Lab, the team have launched a call for proposals, offering their expertise and facilities to the best research proposal with a 3D or 4D research objective.
The new 4D Research Lab
Founded by Dr Patricia Lulof, the 4D Research Lab serves scholars who conduct research into the material past, promoting and assisting the use of 3D technologies in the documentation, analysis and dissemination of their work. To celebrate the launch of the new 4D Research Lab, the team have launched a call for proposals, offering their expertise and facilities to the best research proposal with a 3D or 4D research objective.
How to apply
Write a short summary of your research aims, specifying a research question and which techniques or methods you would like to use. Proposals will be judged on their value to research projects.
Applicants should be based at the Faculty of Humanities of the University of Amsterdam.
Deadline: 15th of May 2018
Send your proposal to Jitte Waagen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The winning proposal will be awarded 50 hours of consultation and modelling time at the 4D Research Lab. Please be sure take this into account in your proposal.
- If you intend to include scanning in your proposal, it is best to focus on one single, complex object or a few simple ones.
- The digitisation of large artefact collections is not feasible.
- For 3D-modelling, please consider that time spent mostly depends on the degree of detail and whether or not realistic texturing and colouring is required.
4D Research Lab technologies
The new 4D Research Lab offers assistance with the following technologies:
- Manual 3D-modelling for the development and exploration of reconstruction hypotheses;
- Structured light 3D-scanning for scanning surfaces with sub-millimetre precision;
- Regular photogrammetry for general scanning of objects and buildings;
- Drone-mounted photogrammetry for cityscapes, large buildings or landscapes*
*As the 4D Research Lab is still in the process of getting certified, they are restricted by law not to fly in built-up areas.
As an output, you will receive the raw data (the 3D file) of your project. You can opt to choose a 3D-PDF or an upload on Sketchfab. It is possible to make an interactive presentation in one of these formats, but note that you should take into account approximately another 8 hours development time for this.
For more information consult the website of the 4D Research Lab or contact the 4D Research Lab Coordinator, Jitte Waagen at email@example.com.