Prof. B.M. (Brian) Burgoon
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Political Economy and Transnational Governance
1018 WV Amsterdam
Brian Burgoon is Professor of International and Comparative Political Economy at the University of Amsterdam (UvA). Since June 2014, he is also Director of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR) at the UvA. He received his PhD from MIT in 1998 and held posts at Brandeis University and Johns Hopkins University SAIS before joining the UvA faculty. His research focuses on the politics of economic globalization; of welfare and labor-market policies and standards; and of how economic conditions influence political violence.
Burgoon Inaugural Address (June 6, 2013)
- Professor of International and Comparative Political Economy at the Dept. of Political Science, UvA.
- Academic Director of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR).
- Member of Research Programme on Political Economy and Transnational Governance (PETGOV) in the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR),
- Member of Amsterdam Center for Inequality Studies (AMCIS).
- Member of the Institute for Migration and Ethnic Studies (IMES).
- Member of UvA-VU ACCESS Europe.
- Member of Board of Directors, Dialogue Advisory Group (DAG)
- PhD in Political Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), 1998
- International Migration Policy and Law Analysis (IMPALA) Database. Multi-university data-gathering project to code the form and stringency of immigration laws and policies across OECD countries since 1960. Project partners are Harvard University, University of Luxembourg, London School of Economics (LSE) and University of Sydney.
- Political Responses to Globalization Survey. Multi-country survey project focused on attitudes about trade,investment and immigration through matching surveys conducted among workers, business-owners, trade association and union representatives, and legislators. The project's PI is Michael Hiscox (Harvard University).
- Human Rights Promotion and Violent Conflict. Large-N and ethnographic-case study of how promotion of human rights in conflict situations affects the development and resolution of acute civil conflicts. With Ram Manikkalingam, Andrea Ruggeri and Willem Schudel. Funded by the Dutch National Organization for Scientific Research (NWO).
- Global Reordering: Evaluation through European Networks (GR:EEN) EU FP7 Program focused on the political economy of network governance in Europe (UvA contributions led by Jonathan Zeitlin and Daniel Muegge). My contributions involve study (with Luc Fransen) of labor-standards protection in EU and national trade policies and in non-state initiatives.
Selected unpublished papers
- Kernmodule InternationaleBetrekkingen (Core Course on International Relations)
- Methodology Clinic for PhD students (withAnnette Freyberg-Inan)
- Political Economy of Conflict (with Andrea Ruggeri)
- American Foreign Policy
- Politics of Immigration (with Marcel van Egmond)
- Politics of Globalization
- Labor Institutions and Globalization (with Jelle Visser)
- Gevolgen van Welvaartsstaten (Consequences of Welfare States) (with Robert van der Veen)
- Onderzoeksmodule (BA Honoursprogramma)
- D. Raess & B. Burgoon (2015). Flexible work and immigration in Europe. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 53 (1), 94-111. doi: 10.1111/bjir.12022
- M. Beine, A. Boucher, B.M. Burgoon, M. Crock, J. Gest, M. Hiscox, P. McGovern, H. Rapoport, J. Schaper & E. Thielemann (in press). "Comparing Immigration Policies: An Overview from the IMPALA Database.". International Migration Review. doi: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1747-7379
- S. Meunier, B. Burgoon & W. Jacoby (2014). The politics of hosting Chinese investment in Europe—an introduction. Asia Europe Journal, 12 (1-2), 109-126. doi: 10.1007/s10308-014-0381-y
- J. Gest, A. Boucher, S. Challen, B.M. Burgoon, E. Thielemann, M. Beine, P. McGovern, M. Crock, H. Rapoport & M. Hiscox (2014). Measuring and comparing immigration, asylum and naturalization policies across countries: challenges and solutions. Global Policy, 5 (3), 261-274. doi: 10.1111/1758-5899.12132
- B.M. Burgoon, A. Ruggeri, C.J.W. Schudel & R. Manikkalingam (2014). From Media Attention to Negotiated Peace: Human Rights Reporting and Civil War Duration. International Interactions. doi: http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/gini20/current#.U6nkKSh1PzI
- R. Andersen, B. Burgoon & H. van de Werfhorst (2014). Inequality, legitimacy and the political system. In W. Salverda, B. Nolan, D. Checchi, I. Marx, A. McKnight, I.G. Tóth & H. van de Werfhorst (Eds.), Changing inequalities in rich countries: analytical and comparative perspectives (pp. 218-238). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- L. Fransen & B. Burgoon (2014). Privatizing or socializing corporate responsibility: business participation in voluntary programs. Business & Society, 53 (4), 583-619. doi: 10.1177/0007650313475784
- B. Burgoon & D. Raess (2014). Chinese investment and European labor: should and do workers fear Chinese FDI? Asia Europe Journal, 12 (1-2), 179-197. doi: 10.1007/s10308-014-0378-6
- B. Burgoon (2014). Immigration, integration and support for redistribution in Europe. World Politics, 66 (3), 365-405. doi: 10.1017/S0043887114000100
- B. Burgoon (2013). Inequality and anti-globalization backlash by political parties. European Union Politics, 14 (3), 408-435. doi: 10.1177/1465116512467546
- L.W. Fransen & B. Burgoon (2013). Global labour-standards advocacy by European Civil Society Organisations: trends and developments. British Journal of Industrial Relations. doi: 10.1111/bjir.12017
- L. Fransen & B. Burgoon (2012). A market for worker rights: explaining business support for international private labour regulation. Review of International Political Economy, 19 (2), 236-266. doi: 10.1080/09692290.2011.552788
- B. Burgoon, P. Demetriades & G.R.D. Underhill (2012). Sources and legitimacy of financial liberalization. European Journal of Political Economy, 28 (2), 147-161. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpoleco.2011.10.003[go to publisher's site]
- B. Burgoon (2012). Partisan embedding of liberalism: how trade, investment, and immigration affect party support for the welfare state. Comparative Political Studies, 45 (5), 606-635. doi: 10.1177/0010414011427132
- B. Burgoon, F. Koster & M. van Egmond (2012). Support for redistribution and the paradox of immigration. Journal of European Social Policy, 22 (3), 288-304. doi: 10.1177/0958928712440198
- A. Ruggeri & B. Burgoon (2012). Human rights "naming & shaming" and civil war violence. In V. Bove & A. Ruggeri (Eds.), Proceedings of the 12th Jan Tinbergen European Peace Science Conference Vol. 18. Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy.
- L.W. Fransen & B.M. Burgoon (2012). Global labor-standards advocacy by European Civil Society Organizations: trends and developments. In Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association. San Diego (USA).
- B.M. Burgoon & J.C. Schaper (2012). Welfare States and Support for Immigration in Europe. In Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association. San Diego (USA).
- B.M. Burgoon, C.J.W. Schudel & R. Manikkalingam (2011). Naming, Shaming and Peacemaking: Civil War and Media Coverage of Human Rights Violations. In Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, Montreal (Canada).
- B. Lancee, B. Burgoon, G. Corneo, D. Horn, M. Medgyesi & H. van de Werfhorst (2011). Political and cultural impacts of inequality. In W. Salverda (Ed.), Inequalities' impacts (GINI State of the Art Review, 1) (pp. 133-140). Amsterdam: Amsterdam Institute for Advanced labour Studies, University of Amsterdam.
- B.M. Burgoon & C.J.W. Schudel (2011). The Political Economy of Aid and Foreign Direct Investment. In Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, Montreal (Canada).
- B. Burgoon & D. Raess (2011). Does the global economy mean more sweat? Trade, investment, migration and working hours in Europe. Socio-Economic Review, 9 (4), 699-727. doi: 10.1093/ser/mwr007
- B.M. Burgoon (2011). Partisanship and Anti-globalization Packlash. In Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, Montreal (Canada).
- B.M. Burgoon (2011). Inmmigration, Integration and Support for Government Redistribution in Europe. In Midwest Political Science Association Annual Meeting (Chicago, Ill).
- B.M. Burgoon & M. Hiscox (2011). The Strange Politics of Compensation: Individual Support for Trade Adjustment Assistance in the United States. In Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Seattle Washington (USA).
- B.M. Burgoon, C.J.W. Schudel, R. Manikkalingam & A. Ruggeri (2011). From Naming and Shaming to Negotiated Peace: Civil War and Media Coverage of Human Rights Violations. In Network of European Peace Scientist's Annual Conference, Amsterdam (NL).
- B. Burgoon & F. Dekker (2010). Flexible employment, economic insecurity and social policy preferences in Europe. Journal of European Social Policy, 20 (2), 126-141. doi: 10.1177/0958928709358789
- B. Burgoon, J. Fine, W. Jacoby & D. Tichenor (2010). Immigration and the transformation of American unionism. The International Migration Review, 44 (4), 933-973. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-7379.2010.00831.x
- B. Burgoon (2010). Betwixt and between?: the European Union’s redistributive management of globalization. Journal of European Public Policy, 17 (3), 433-448.
- B.M. Burgoon & D. Raess (2010). Flexible Work in Globalized Europe. In Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association Washington DC (USA).
- B. Burgoon (2009). The distinct politics of the European Union’s 'fair trade' linkage to labour standards. European Foreign Affairs Review, 14 (5), 643-661.
- B. Burgoon (2009). Social nation, social Europe: support for national and supranational welfare compensation in Europe. European Union Politics, 10 (4), 427-455.
- B. Burgoon (2009). Globalization and political-economic backlash: Polanyi’s revenge? Review of International Political Economy, 16 (2), 145-177.
- B. Burgoon & D. Raess (2009). Globalization and working time: working hours and flexibility in Germany. Politics & Society, 37 (4), 554-575. doi: 10.1177/0032329209349224
- B. Burgoon, P. Demetriades & G. Underhill (2012). Bronnen en legitimiteit van financiële liberalisering. Res Publica, 54 (3), 391-394.
- H. van de Werfhorst, I.G. Tóth, D. Horn, M. Medgyesi, N. Notten, C. Haas & B. Burgoon (2012). Political and cultural impacts of growing inequalities. (extern rapport). Amsterdam: Amsterdam Institute for Advanced labour Studies, University of Amsterdam.
- B. Burgoon, P. Demetriades & G. Underhill (2008). Financial liberalisation and political variables: A response to Abiad and Mody. (extern rapport, Working paper / University of Leicester, Department of Economics, no 08/30). Leicester: University of Leicester.
- B.M. Burgoon (period: 2011 till 2015). Member International Advisory Board Position at : Review of International Political Economy.
- B.M. Burgoon (period: 2011 till 2012). International Advisory Board Position at : 'Review of International Political Economy'.
- B.M. Burgoon (period: 2012 till ). Member of four-member Editorial Committee of 'Changing Welfare States' book series Position at : Amsterdam University Press.
- B.M. Burgoon, C.J.W. Schudel & A. Ruggeri (period: 2011 till 2012). Host and Co-organizer Position at : Network of European Peace Scientists (Annual Meeting).
- B.M. Burgoon (period: 2008 till 2009). Member Beste Dataset Award Committee Position at : American Political Science Association.
- B.M. Burgoon (period: 2009 till ). Secretary-Treasurer and Member of Board of Directors Position at : Dialogue Advisory Group (Amsterdam / New York).
- B.M. Burgoon & S. Meunier (2012). (Mede-) organisator. Special Issue "The Politics of Chinese FDI in Europe": Princeton (2012, November 1).
- B.M. Burgoon (2012). Organisator. Workshop over Immigration and Welfare (als onderdeel van PEGGED project): Brussel (2012, June 1).
- B.M. Burgoon & W. Jacoby (2012). (Mede)organisator. Special Issue "The Politics of Chinese FDI in Europe": Amsterdam (2012, June 1).
- B.M. Burgoon & G.R.D. Underhill (2012). Legitimacy, Austerity, and Capital Market Integration. Research Workshop: Johns Hopkins University Bologna Centre, School of Advanced International Studies (2012, June 21 - 2012, June 22).
- B.M. Burgoon, C.J.W. Schudel & A. Ruggeri (2011). Conference organizer European Peace Science Association. European Peace Science Association, Annual Conference June 2011: .
- B.M. Burgoon (). Inequality and Anti-globalization Backlash. unknown, Columbia University Department of Political Science Invited Speaker Series.
- B.M. Burgoon (). Chinese FDI and European Labor. unknown, Princeton University Department of Politics workshop on the European Politics of Chinese FDI.
- B.M. Burgoon (2011, February 14). Immigration, Integration and Support for Government Redistribution in Europe. Juan March Institute, Madrid, CEACS Invited Speaker Series.
- B.M. Burgoon (Ed.). (2009) ASSR Working Paper Series.
Dialogue Advisory Group (DAG)
Member Board of Directors, Project Mediator