dr. K. (Katjana) Gattermann
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
CW : Political Communication & Journalism
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Amsterdam
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1018 WV Amsterdam
Katjana Gattermann is assistant professor at the Amsterdam School of Communication Research ( ASCoR) within the Program Group ‘Political Communication and Journalism’. Her research interests comprise political communication and journalism, political behaviour, public opinion and legislative behaviour in the European Union. Her work feeds into debates about the legitimacy and accountability of politics within and across the EU. She has recently been awarded a VENI grant by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) for her VENI project ‘Facing Europe: The personalization of European Union politics in news coverage and its consequences for democracy‘.
Katjana is also affiliated with the Amsterdam Centre for Contemporary European Studies (ACCESS EUROPE) and the Center for Politics and Communication (CPC). She was previously postdoctoral researcher for ACCESS EUROPE; and before that postdoc at the Jean Monnet Chair of Prof Wolfgang Wessels, Political Science Department, University of Cologne, where she was member of the former internationally collaborative research project ‘Observatory of Parliaments after Lisbon’ (OPAL). Furthermore, Katjana is founding director of the Erasmus Academic Network on Parliamentary Democracy in Europe ( PADEMIA), which brings together 56 research and teaching institutes from all over Europe. In addition, she is co-editor of the LSE ‘Europe in Question’ Discussion Paper Series ( LEQS), published by the LSE European Institute.
Find more information here: https://katjanagattermann.wordpress.com/.
Gattermann, K. & Vasilopoulou, S. (2015). Absent yet popular? Explaining news visibility of Members of the European Parliament. European Journal of Political Research, 54 (1), 121-140 (2013 ISI IMPACT FACTOR: 2.152)
Gattermann, K. (2013). News about the European Parliament: Patterns and external drivers of broadsheet coverage. European Union Politics, 14 (3), 436-457 (2013 ISI IMPACT FACTOR: 2.036)
Vasilopoulou, S. & Gattermann, K. (2013). Matching policy preferences: the linkage between voters and MEPs. Journal of European Public Policy, 20 (4), 606-605 (2013 ISI IMPACT FACTOR: 1.36)
Key blog posts
Gattermann, K. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2015). Newspapers care more about who our MEPs are than about what they do in the European Parliament, PSA Blog. 3 March 2015 http://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/blog/newspapers-care-more-about-who-our-meps-are-about-what-they-do-european-parliament
Gattermann, K. (2013). European broadsheets pay regular attention to the European Parliament between EU elections, LSE European Politics and Policy Blog (EUROPP). 30 May 2013 http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2013/05/30/european-parliament-news-coverage/
- K. Gattermann (2015). Europäische Spitzenkandidaten und deren (Un-)Sichtbarkeit in der nationalen Zeitungsberichterstattung. In M. Kaeding & N. Switek (Eds.), Die Europawahl 2014: Spitzenkandidaten, Protestparteien, Nichtwähler (pp. 211-222). Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
- C. Hefftler & K. Gattermann (2015). Interparliamentary cooperation in the European Union: patterns, problems and potential. In C. Hefftler, C. Neuhold, O. Rozenberg & J. Smith (Eds.), The Palgrave handbook of national parliaments and the European Union (pp. 94-115). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- K. Gattermann & S Vasilopoulou (2015). Absent yet popular? Explaining news visibility of Members of the European Parliament. European Journal of Political Research, 54 (1), 121-140. doi: 10.1111/1475-6765.12071
- K. Gattermann & C. Hefftler (2015). Beyond institutional capacity: political motivation and parliamentary behaviour in the early warning system. West European Politics, 38 (2), 305-334. doi: 10.1080/01402382.2014.990696
- S Vasilopoulou & K. Gattermann (2013). Matching policy preferences: the linkage between voters and MEPs. Journal of European Public Policy, 20 (4), 606-605. doi: 10.1080/13501763.2012.718892
- K. Gattermann (2013). News about the European Parliament: Patterns and external drivers of broadsheet coverage. European Union Politics, 14 (3), 436-457. doi: 10.1177/1465116513476146
- K. Gattermann (2012, July 31). News about the European Parliament: Patterns and drivers of broadsheet coverage. The London School of Economics and Political Science. (London). Supervisor(s): I. Chalmers & S. Hix.
- K. Gattermann (2015). Facing Europe: The personalization of European Union politics in news coverage and its consequences for democracy, NWO VENI grant, project no. 451-15-003, €250.000. Recognition.
- K. Gattermann (2015). Co-organizer of ACCESS EUROPE Workshop 'The European Elections 2014', 12-13 March 2015, Amsterdam.
Keynote / Invited lecture
- K. Gattermann (2015, July 15). '(Content-)Analysing news from Brussels: Patterns, problems and potentials in the study of news coverage of European Union institutions and individual politicians'. Dublin, Ireland, Lecture at the 'Politics and the media' workshop, School of Law and Government, Dublin City University.
- No ancillary activities