dr. E.J.F. (Emily) Yates-Doerr
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Anthropology of Health, Care and the Body
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Amsterdam
1001 NA Amsterdam
Emily Yates-Doerr (Ph.D. 2011, Anthropology, NYU) is Assistant Professor of Anthropology in the Health Care and the Body research group of the AISSR. She currently holds a Veni grant from the NWO for the project When Global Health Meets Local Development: A Case Study of the 'First 1000 Days of Life' Initiative in Guatemala. This study of global sustainabilty and maternal health has grown out of postdoctoral research on food security and doctoral research on epidemiological transitions in Latin America. Her book, The Weight of the Obesity: Hunger and Global Health in Postwar Guatemala (UC Press, 2015) examines the emergence of the diagnostic category of obesity in the city of Xela. She was previously a postdoctoral fellow on Annemarie Mol's Eating Bodies project, and before this she was in the anthropology department at New York University.
- E. Yates-Doerr & M.A. Carney (2016). Demedicalizing health: the kitchen as a site of care. Medical Anthropology, 35 (4), 305-321. doi: 10.1080/01459740.2015.1030402
- E. Kowal, T. Meyers, E. Raikhel, P. Redfield, S. Abramowitz, B. Andersen, E. Moyer, E. Yates-Doerr & J. Grant (2015). The open question: medical anthropology and open access. Medicine Anthropology Theory, 2 (1), 75-94.[go to publisher's site]
- E. Yates-Doerr (2015). Intervals of confidence: Uncertain accounts of global hunger. Biosocieties, 10 (2), 229-246. doi: 10.1057/biosoc.2015.9
- E. Sanabria & E. Yates-Doerr (2015). Alimentary uncertainties: From contested evidence to policy. Biosocieties, 10 (2), 117-124. doi: 10.1057/biosoc.2015.17
- E. Yates-Doerr (2015). Does meat come from animals? A multispecies approach to classification and belonging in highland Guatemala. American Ethnologist, 42 (2), 309-323. doi: 10.1111/amet.12132
- E. Yates-Doerr (2015). The world in a box? Food security, edible insects, and "One World, One Health" collaboration. Social Science & Medicine, 129, 106-112. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.06.020
- E. Yates-Doerr (2015). The weight of obesity: hunger and global health in postwar Guatemala. (California studies in food and culture, 57). Oakland, CA: University of California Press.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2014). Obesity science and health translations in Guatemala: engagement in practice. Anthropology Now, 6 (1), 3-14. doi: 10.5816/anthropologynow.6.1.0003
- E. Yates-Doerr (2013). The mismeasure of obesity. In M. McCullough & J. Hardin (Eds.), Reconstructing obesity: the meaning of measures and the measure of meanings (Food, nutrition, and culture, 2) (pp. 49-70). New York, NY [etc.]: Berghahn Books.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2013). Complex carbohydrates: on the relevance of ethnography in nutrition education. In E.-J. Abbots & A. Lavis (Eds.), Why we eat, how we eat: contemporary encounters between foods and bodies (Critical food studies) (pp. 271-287). Farnham [etc.]: Ashgate.
- E. Yates-Doerr & A. Mol (2012). Cuts of meat: disentangling Western natures-cultures. Cambridge Anthropology, 30 (2), 48-64. doi: 10.3167/ca.2012.300204
- E. Yates-Doerr (2012). The weight of the self: care and compassion in Guatemalan dietary choices. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, 26 (1), 136-158. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1387.2011.01169.x
- E. Yates-Doerr (2012). Meeting the demand for meat? Anthropology Today, 28 (1), 11-15. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8322.2012.00849.x
- E. Yates-Doerr (2012). The opacity of reduction: nutritional black-boxing and the meanings of nourishment. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of MultidisciplinaryResearch, 15 (2), 293-313. doi: 10.2752/175174412X13233545145381
- A. Mann, A. Mol, P. Satalkar, A. Savirani, N. Selim, M. Sur & E. Yates-Doerr (2011). Mixing methods, tasting fingers: notes on an ethnographic experiment. HAU : Journal of Ethnographic Theory, 1 (1), 221-243.[go to publisher's site]
- E. Yates-Doerr (2011). Kinship: bodily betrayal: love and anger in the time of epigenetics. In F.E. Mascia-Lees (Ed.), A companion to the anthropology of the body and embodiment (Blackwell companions to anthropology, 13) (pp. 292-306). Oxford [etc.]: Wiley-Blackwell.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2015). All that is solid: on body weight and otological violence. (column). Anthropology News. (available: 06 oct 2015).
- E. Yates-Doerr (2014). The Form of the Otherwise. (overig). Fieldsights - Commentary, Cultural Anthropology Online. (available: 26 mar 2014).
- E. Yates-Doerr (2014). Care: Provocation. (overig). Fieldsights - Field Notes, Cultural Anthropology Online. (available: 17 mar 2014).
- E. Yates-Doerr (2014). Refrigerator units, normal goods. Limn, 4 (1), 32-35.[go to publisher's site]
- E. Raikhel, T. Meyers, E. Yates-Doerr & M. Dufour (2015). Somatosphere.net. (podcasting). New Books network. (available: 13 oct 2015).
- E. Yates-Doerr (2015). The weight of the body: on obesity and ontological violence. Second Opinion, 3 (2).
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015). All that is Solid: On Body Weight & Ontological Violence. Anthropology News, 56 (11).
- E. Yates-Doerr (2014). Engaged Anthropology Grant: Emily Yates-Doerr. (blog). The Wenner Gren Blog. (available: 12 mar 2014).
- E. Yates-Doerr (2013). [Review of the book Seeds, science, and struggle: the global politics of transgenic crops]. Environment and Society, 4(1), 163-164.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2013). [Review of the book Livestock/deadstock: working with farm animals from birth to slaughter]. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, 19(4), 892-893.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2010). [Review of the book Cheap meat: flap food nations in the Pacific Islands]. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of MultidisciplinaryResearch, 13(4), 607-610.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2010). [Review of the book Broccoli and desire: global connections and Maya struggles in postwar Guatemala]. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of MultidisciplinaryResearch, 13(2), 299-302.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2010). [Review of the book Measured meals: nutrition in America]. Gastronomica, 10(4), 98-99.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014). Commonplaces: Itemizing the Technological Present. "The Scale.". (overig). (available: 20 may 2014).
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014). VENI Innovational Research Incentives Scheme grant for the independent research project "When Global Health Meets Local Development: A Case Study of the ‘First 1000 Days of Life’ Intervention in Guatemala". Recognition.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015). Organizer and speaker at workshop: In the Event of Development: Evaluation, accountability and the mixing of methods. An international roundtable with 4 speakers (AISSR-UvA): Amsterdam (2015, November 30).
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015). Organizer and speaker at workshop: Corporations and Incorporations. An international workshop with 3 speakers (AISSR-UvA): Amsterdam (2015, July 1).
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015). Panel Organizer, "Differences that Matter: Inequalities in Global Health". at: MAGic2015 (EASA Medical Anthropology Network and RAI Medical Anthropology Committee), Anthropology and Global Health: Sussex (2015, September 9).
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2012). Wenner-Gren Foundation Engaged Anthropology Grant.
Keynote / Invited lecture
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015, January 27). Invited Talk at the Bremen NatureCultures Lab. Bremen, Department of Anthropology and Culture Research, University of Bremen; Artec Sustainability Research Centre.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015, December 9). Invited Talk, University of Washington Research Program in Medical Anthropology and Global Health. Washington, University of Washington Research Program in Medical Anthropology and Global Health.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015, March 3). Invited Talk at EPICENTER. Aarhus, at: Aarhus University, Denmark.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015, October 2). Invited Lecture, SOAS Food Forum. London, at SOAS Food Forum.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015, October 3). Invited Presenter, "International Workshop on the Politics of Non-Communicable Diseases in the Global South,". London, at King's college.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015, October 30). Invited Talk, Centro de Estudios y Documentación Latinamericanos. Amsterdam, at Centro de Estudios y Documentación Latinamericanos.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2015, November 12). Invited lecture at Leiden University College. Den Haag, Leiden University College.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014, May 1). Invited Lecture at the Unit for Biocultural Variation and Obesity (UBVO). Oxford, UK, Lecture at The University of Oxford.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014, January 17). Invited Lecture for the Global Health Programme. Maastricht, Lecture at Maastricht University.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014, June 5). Embodied Being, Environing World: Local Biologies and Local Ecologies in Global Health. Paris, Invited contributor at Maison des Sciences de L’Homme.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr & E. Sanabria (Eds.). (2015) Biosocieties, 10(2).