dr. E.J.F. (Emily) Yates-Doerr
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Anthropology of Health, Care and the Body
1018 WV Amsterdam
Emily Yates-Doerr (Ph.D. 2011, Anthropology, NYU) is Assistant Professor of Anthropology in the Health Care and the Body research group of the AISSR. She currently holds a Veni grant from the NWO for the project When Global Health Meets Local Development: A Case Study of the 'First 1000 Days of Life' Initiative in Guatemala. This study of global sustainabilty and maternal health has grown out of postdoctoral research on food security and doctoral research on epidemiological transitions in Latin America. Her forthcoming book, The Weight of the Obesity: Hunger and Global Health in Postwar Guatemala (UC Press, 2015) examines the emergence of the diagnostic category of obesity in the city of Xela. She was previously a postdoctoral fellow on Annemarie Mol's Eating Bodies project, and before this she was in the anthropology department at New York University.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2014). Obesity science and health translations in Guatemala: engagement in practice. Anthropology Now, 6 (1), 3-14.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014). The world in a box? Food security, edible insects and "one world, one health" collaboration. Social Science & Medicine. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2014.06.020
- E. Yates-Doerr (2014). Obesity science and health translations in Guatemala: engagement in practice. Anthropology Now, 6 (1), 3-14. doi: 10.5816/anthropologynow.6.1.0003
- E. Yates-Doerr (2013). Complex carbohydrates: on the relevance of ethnography in nutrition education. In E.-J. Abbots & A. Lavis (Eds.), Why we eat, how we eat: contemporary encounters between foods and bodies (Critical food studies) (pp. 271-287). Farnham [etc.]: Ashgate.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2013). The mismeasure of obesity. In M. McCullough & J. Hardin (Eds.), Reconstructing obesity: the meaning of measures and the measure of meanings (Food, nutrition, and culture, 2) (pp. 49-70). New York, NY [etc.]: Berghahn Books.
- E. Yates-Doerr & A. Mol (2012). Cuts of meat: disentangling Western natures-cultures. Cambridge Anthropology, 30 (2), 48-64. doi: 10.3167/ca.2012.300204
- E. Yates-Doerr (2012). The weight of the self: care and compassion in Guatemalan dietary choices. Medical Anthropology Quarterly, 26 (1), 136-158. doi: 10.1111/j.1548-1387.2011.01169.x
- E. Yates-Doerr (2012). The opacity of reduction: nutritional black-boxing and the meanings of nourishment. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of MultidisciplinaryResearch, 15 (2), 293-313. doi: 10.2752/175174412X13233545145381
- E. Yates-Doerr (2012). Meeting the demand for meat? Anthropology Today, 28 (1), 11-15. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8322.2012.00849.x
- A. Mann, A. Mol, P. Satalkar, A. Savirani, N. Selim, M. Sur & E. Yates-Doerr (2011). Mixing methods, tasting fingers: notes on an ethnographic experiment. HAU : Journal of Ethnographic Theory, 1 (1), 221-243.[go to publisher's site]
- E. Yates-Doerr (2011). Kinship: bodily betrayal: love and anger in the time of epigenetics. In F.E. Mascia-Lees (Ed.), A companion to the anthropology of the body and embodiment (Blackwell companions to anthropology, 13) (pp. 292-306). Oxford [etc.]: Wiley-Blackwell.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2013). [Review of the book Livestock/deadstock: working with farm animals from birth to slaughter]. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute, 19(4), 892-893.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2013). [Review of the book Seeds, Science & Struggle: The Global Politics of Transgenic Crops]. Environment and Society, 4(1).
- E. Yates-Doerr (2010). [Review of the book Cheap meat: flap food nations in the Pacific Islands]. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of MultidisciplinaryResearch, 13(4), 607-610.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2010). [Review of the book Broccoli and desire: global connections and Maya struggles in postwar Guatemala]. Food, Culture and Society: An International Journal of MultidisciplinaryResearch, 13(2), 299-302.
- E. Yates-Doerr (2010). [Review of the book Measured meals: nutrition in America]. Gastronomica, 10(4), 98-99.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014). Commonplaces: Itemizing the Technological Present. "The Scale.". (overig). (available: 20 may 2014).
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014). VENI Innovational Research Incentives Scheme grant for the independent research project "When Global Health Meets Local Development: A Case Study of the ‘First 1000 Days of Life’ Intervention in Guatemala". Recognition.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2012). Wenner-Gren Foundation Engaged Anthropology Grant.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014, January 17). Invited Lecture for the Global Health Programme. Maastricht, Lecture at Maastricht University.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014, May 1). Invited Lecture at the Unit for Biocultural Variation and Obesity (UBVO). Oxford, UK, Lecture at The University of Oxford.
- E.J.F. Yates-Doerr (2014, June 5). Embodied Being, Environing World: Local Biologies and Local Ecologies in Global Health. Paris, Invited contributor at Maison des Sciences de L’Homme.