The programme will be in Dutch, but an interpreter will be on hand to provide simultaneous translation.
14:30-15:00: doors open, Aula
15:00-16:30: Opening of the 2017-2018 Academic Year
- Geert ten Dam, president of the UvA's Executive Board, on inspiring education. The anniversary theme Inspiring Generations represents what we want to be as a university, for our students and for society. How can we give academic education real value and meaning for students and, by extension, society?
- PechaKucha-style presentation by Nathalie van der Velde, head of geriatrics department at the AMC. This year she received a donation via the Amsterdam University Fund for research into falls as a side effect of medicine use by elderly patients.
- Robbert Dijkgraaf, University Professor and Director of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, will share his view on inspiring research and what the university can do to stimulate it.
- PechaKucha-style presentation by Bruno Verschuere, associate professor of forensic psychology. last September, Verschuere won the Ig Nobel Prize, a parody of the real Nobel Prize, for his research into lying.
- The winner of the UvA's 2016-2017 Lecturer of the Year competition, Antoinette Muntjewerff (Assistent Professor of Jurisprudence), in conversation with Louisa Bergsma en Karel van Vliet from the law faculty student association JFAS.
Music willl be provided by the UvA's J. Pzn Sweelinck orchestra.
16:30-19:00: Closing party at the Atrium
- Come celebrate the new academic year and the UvA's 385th anniversary at the Atrium! Whether you are attending the programme at the Aula or not, everyone is welcome at the Atrium from 16:30. Drinks, food and a DJ will be provided.