Opening of 2018-2019 academic year
On course for knowledge in Amsterdam
All UvA students and staff are invited to attend the opening of the 2018-2019 academic year on Monday, 3 September. This year's theme is the relationship between the UvA and Amsterdam.
On a cold January day in 1632 Gerardus Vossius opened the predecessor to the University of Amsterdam with his inaugural speech 'De historiae utilitate' . The day after, Caspar Barlaeus praised the city's governers in his opening speech, marking the start of long and close relationship between the UvA and Amsterdam.
So, what is the state of this relationship in 2018? What do scientists and policy makers have to offer each other today? Find out during the opening on 3 September.
Please register using the button at the top of this article. An interpreter will be on hand to provide live translation into English. You can pick up a head set at the entrance.
14:30 Doors open
15:00 - 16:30 Official opening, including:
- A plea by Executive Board President Geert van Dam for a renewed social contract between the UvA and Amsterdam
- Former minister and former mayor Jozias van Aartsen on the UvA’s importance for the city
- Lecturer Katusha Sol and student Nora van de Water about the elective course 'Placemaking: passing the baton in urban development', in which students contribute to the development of the Amsterdam Science Park area.
- Maarten de Rijke, professor of Information Retrieval at the UvA and director of the Innovation Center for Artificial Intelligence on ways in which artificial intelligence can help the city
- Examples of partnerships in the fields of education and research, presented by Master’s students of Media and Journalism
- Music from a capella group SingerG. The mebers of SingersG formed the group after participating in a singing course at CREA in 2008. Their repertoire is a creative take on and mix of pop, soul, R&B and hip hop.
16:30 - 18:00 Drinks at the Maagdenhuis
Aula - Oude Lutherse kerk
Singel 411 | 1012 XM AmsterdamGo to detailpage