(Senior) researcher Asser Institute
T.M.C. Asser Institute
- Publication date
- 7 March 2018
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €3,475 to €5,405 gross per month
- Closing date
- 22 March 2018
- 38 hours per week
- Vacancy number
The Asser Institute in The Hague is a research centre for international and European law. Its mission is to contribute to the development of international and European law by conducting independent fundamental research, policy-oriented research, and applied legal research, as well as by initiating and facilitating academic and expert meetings, (professional) education, and public events with a view to disseminating knowledge of international and European Law. The Institute is dedicated to building a strong research community and creating an environment that facilitates critical-constructive reflection.
The institute invites applications for a (Senior) researcher.
Preferably available from 1 June 2018 to strengthen our critical research capacity in the Research Strand on ‘advancing public interests in international and European law’ and in the context of our Strategic Research Agenda.
As an early-career researcher you are expected to:
- initiate, develop and execute high-level research projects independently, with a focus on multilateral institutions;
- publish in the top international journals;
- participate in international seminars and conferences;
- coordinate, develop and execute research projects in collaboration with other Asser researchers;
- have an active interest in other work in the research group and enjoy contributing to the Asser research community;
- contribute to Asser’s knowledge dissemination activities;
- initiate, contribute to, and participate in ‘third stream money’ funded research projects and their acquisition.
- A completed PhD in international law or European law (plus a few years of postdoc experience);
- focus in past work on transnational environmental law and sustainability regulation;
- a demonstrated track record of academic publications;
- a strong and relevant international network;
- enthusiasm to contribute to a stimulating research community;
- demonstrable organisational and communications skills;
- willingness to compete to attract external funding for research projects;
- an ability to apply critical theory constructively;
- fluency in English.
A (big) plus will be:
- methodological interest in socio-legal research;
- professional advocacy or other relevant institutional experience;
- experience in bringing international and/or European environmental law expertise to a broader (public and/or practice oriented) audience;
- fluency in Dutch.
Further information may be obtained from:
- Dr Antoine Duval, Senior researcher and Research coordinator, and
- Prof. Janne Nijman, Academic director of the T.M.C. Asser Instituut
The employee will be appointed at the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam Law School, and seconded to the Asser Institute.
This appointment will be originally for the period of one year. Extension of the appointment is subject to satisfactory performance after the first year.
UFO Salary scale: 11-12 according to the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. Remuneration depends on the actual level of education, experience and knowledge with a maximum of €5,405 gross per month based on a full-time equivalent (38 hours). Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year allowance.
- your current CV;
- a cover letter in which you explain your motivation, as well as a brief description of the sort of research you would be interested to pursue at Asser (with some indication of subject, context, method, etc) within the context of the Asser Strategic Research Agenda;
- a sample work of maximum 25 pages (e.g. a published paper); and
- two letters of recommendation in pdf.
Your application must be submitted in English to Ms Karlijn Dijksterhuis via firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications not comprising all of the above will not be considered.
Applications must be submitted before 23 March 2018. #LI-DNP
No agencies please