Full professor Security by Design
Faculty of Science – Informatics Institute
- Publication date
- 8 May 2018
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €5,334 to €7,766 gross per month
- Closing date
- 1 June 2018
- 38 hours per week
- Vacancy number
The Faculty of Science of the University of Amsterdam occupies a leading position internationally in its fields of research and participates in a large number of cooperative programmes with universities, research institutes and businesses around the globe. The Faculty has a student body of around 7,000 and 1,500 members of staff, spread over eight research institutes and a number of faculty-wide support services. A considerable part of the research is made possible by external funding from Dutch and international organisations and the private sector. The Faculty of Science offers 11 Bachelor's degree programs and 18 Master’s degree programs in the fields of the exact sciences, computer science and information studies, and life and earth sciences.
Within the Faculty, the information sciences are organized in two research institutes, the Informatics Institute and the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation. The Informatics Institute (IvI) encompasses around 270 members, organized in eight research groups that cooperate intensively, both formally and informally.
IvI is recruiting an established and internationally recognized scholar at the level of full professor in the area of Security by Design.
As our reliance on ICT infrastructures increases, so do concerns about their security. The growing complexity and connectivity of ICT systems, ranging from large-scale cloud systems to small embedded devices as part of the Internet of Things, attract the worldwide attention of an increasingly large number of attackers. The same holds for data being processed with such systems. Data travels through virtualized environments between systems and this brings new security and integrity challenges to be addressed. This makes the security aspect more important than ever during the design and implementation of those ICT systems. As new chair in the area of ‘Security by Design’ you will provide an excellent addition to the existing rich research portfolio of the Informatics Institute (IvI). The focus of this chair should be on the design and creation of secure ICT systems, with possible research topics such as Identity, Privacy and Trust Management, Web Security, Network Security, Secure Data Management, and/or Secure Software Design and Engineering.
As chair you will contribute significantly to novel theories, methodologies, algorithms and tools for designing and developing secure ICT systems and/or securely managing the data exchanged by these systems.
You will form a new group in the Systems and Networking Lab of the Informatics Institute. To this end, an investment for an additional tenure-track position (assistant professor) to strengthen the new group is also foreseen. The Systems and Networking Lab currently consists of three research groups: Complex Cyber Infrastructure (Prof. Cees de Laat), Multi Scale Networking (Dr Paola Grosso), and Parallel Computing Systems (Dr Andy Pimentel). The lab conducts research on leading-edge computer systems of all scales, ranging from global-scale systems and networks to embedded devices. Across these multiple scales the lab’s particular interest is on extra-functional properties of computer systems, such as performance, energy consumption, programmability, productivity, security, trust, sustainability and, last but not least, the societal impact of emerging systems-related technologies.
The establishment and positioning of the new chair will further strengthen the world-class reputation of cyber security research ecosystem in Amsterdam. More specifically, your research focus should complement the security research of Prof. Herbert Bos’ group at the Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam as well as Prof. Ronald Cramer’s research at the Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI).
In terms of teaching responsibilities, you will contribute to IvI’s programs in Informatics (BSc), Security & Network Engineering (MSc), and/or Software Engineering (MSc). Both of these MSc programs have consistently received the ‘Top Program’ designation over the years, implying that they are ranked among the best MSc programs nationwide.
The chair in Security by Design we are looking for, has:
- a PhD in computer science or a related discipline;
- proven ability to engage in cutting-edge research in the design and creation of secure ICT systems;
- demonstrated to be a creative and inspiring scientist with excellent managerial qualities and leadership capabilities;
- documented excellence in research through publications in top international conferences and journals;
- the capability to initiate and organise new research by identifying innovative research themes;
- a strong track record in the acquisition of funded research;
- contacts necessary to initiate national and international partnerships, and is part of an international network;
- experience in valorisation of research;
- proven teaching skills, preferably with a certificate of academic teaching quality (Dutch BKO or equivalent) and excellent didactic qualities and affinity with the content of the Bachelors and Master programs in the domain of computer science, security & network engineering, and/or software engineering;
- commitment to stimulating and supervising PhD research;
- willingness and ability to perform administrative, organisational and managerial tasks.
For further information, questions and/or comments please contact:
- Prof. Theo Gevers, chair of the selection committee
T+31 (0)20 525 7578
You may also suggest names of qualified candidates to Prof. Gevers.
The position will be filled at the level of Full professor. We offer a challenging job at a dynamic and ambitious university, a permanent tenured appointment and an attractive package of fringe benefits, for instance: generous leave arrangements, application for attractive fiscal arrangements are possible for employees from abroad, attractive retirement benefits, collective health insurance and excellent parental leave packages.
The salary is in accordance with the salary scales for professors at Dutch universities, scale H2 (Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) ranging from €5,334 to €7,766 gross per month before tax based on a full-time appointment, depending on expertise and previous experience. Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday allowance and an 8,3% end-of-year allowance.
The University of Amsterdam is striving for a better balance in its staff whereby, by equal suitability, the appointment of a female colleague will have our preference. Women are, therefore, strongly encouraged to apply.
You may submit your application using the link below.
Please do not send your application to Prof. Gevers directly, it will get lost!
Your application must include:
- a cover letter and a statement summarizing your motivation (max 1 page);
- your previous research accomplishments and your future research goals (max 2 pages);
- your teaching statement (max 2 pages);
- a curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications, a list of your best three papers;
- the names and contact coordinates (email and telephone numbers) of three references.
Include the months (not just years) in your CV when referring to your education and work experience.
To enable us to process your application immediately, please quote '18-262 Chair in Security by Design' in the subject-line.
The closing date for applications is 1 June 2018. #LI-DNP
No agencies please