Assistant Professor in Philosophy of Science
Faculty of Humanities – Department of Philosophy
- Publication date
- 4 July 2018
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €3,545 to €5,513 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- Closing date
- 1 September 2018
- 30,4 hours per week
- Vacancy number
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strongly international profile in a large number of disciplines in the field of language and culture. Staff is offered the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that - partly as a result of their multidisciplinary approach - are world-renowned.
The Department of Philosophy of the Faculty of Humanities is looking for an Assistant Professor in Philosophy of Science. As an assistant professor, you will be teaching in a dynamic context in which new educational methods are being developed. Together with other new assistant professors and lecturers you will participate in a comprehensive introductory programme, which includes obtaining the Dutch national certificate for professional university teaching (BKO), if not already in your possession. Faculty research priority areas are Brain and Cognition, Cultural Heritage and Identity, Globalisation Studies, Creative Industries and Digital Humanities. Philosophy - a thriving field at the University of Amsterdam - participates in a number of these areas. The Department of Philosophy at the Faculty of Humanities consists of the groups Critical Cultural Theory, Logic and Language, Philosophical Tradition in Context and Philosophy and Public Affairs. We plan to host the new assistant professor in the Philosophical Tradition in Context group.
The assistant professorship is a temporary replacement for a position with a teaching component and a research component affiliated to the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC). The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) is a renowned research institute at the University of Amsterdam, in which researchers from the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Science collaborate. The ILLC’s central research area is the study of fundamental principles of encoding, transmission and comprehension of information. Research at the ILLC is interdisciplinary and brings together insights from various disciplines concerned with information and information processing, such as logic, theoretical philosophy, linguistics, musicology, mathematics, computer science, artificial intelligence and cognitive science.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor in Philosophy of Science, with a specific research focus on Philosophy of Technology and/or Philosophy of Information, who also has interest and teaching competence in systematic Theoretical Philosophy (Epistemology and/or Metaphysics) and History of Philosophy. The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- a strong record of publications in top international peer-reviewed journals;
- experience with acquiring third party funding;
- a broad philosophical background, outlook and interests;
- and solid experience with teaching at both BA and MA level, including the teaching of academic skills.
Research areas of specialization: Philosophy of Science, with a specific focus on Philosophy of Technology and/or Philosophy of Information.
Teaching areas of competence: Philosophy of Science, systematic Theoretical Philosophy (Epistemology and/or Metaphysics), History of Philosophy.
The candidate is expected to take an active role in activities for the Department of Philosophy and for the Research Institute of Affiliation, ranging from organizing/participating in research seminars to board memberships and grant applications. Good social skills, a deeply collegial attitude, and ability and willingness to take up substantial administrative tasks are particularly welcome.
Our teaching needs are focused on but not limited to introductory and advanced courses at BA-level, BA and MA theses supervision, as well as text-based courses with intensive training of academic skills such as careful and precise close reading, presentation techniques and academic philosophical writing. The candidate will thus have demonstrable experience with the type of teaching indicated.
If you are our ideal candidate you have:
- a PhD in Philosophy already defended at the time of application;
- experience in research and excellent research skills, evidenced by a strong record of research publications in top international peer-reviewed journals;
- as research area of specialization: Philosophy of Science with a specific focus on Philosophy of Technology and/or Philosophy of Information;
- as teaching areas of competence: Philosophy of Science, systematic Theoretical Philosophy (Epistemology and/or Metaphysics), History of Philosophy;
- broad teaching experience at BA and MA level;
- demonstrable didactic abilities and/or training, evidenced by an educational portfolio (incl. teaching evaluations);
- team spirit and a strong affinity with the ILLC’s multidisciplinary environment;
- a record of contributed and/or invited lecturers at international conferences/workshops;
- ideally some experience with (co-)supervision of BA, MA and/or PhD students;
- excellent communication and social skills;
- a thorough command of Dutch and English. If the candidate's native language is not Dutch, they are expected to be able to teach in Dutch within two years but preferably sooner. Passing the state examination for Dutch as a Second Language (NT2), programme II, is a prerequisite for a permanent employment contract at the Faculty of Humanities.
For further information please contact:
We are aiming at a starting date around 1 February 2019. The appointment will be on a temporary basis for a period of 2 years.
Based on a full-time appointment (38 hours per week), the gross monthly salary will be between €3.545 and €5.513 (scale 11/12). The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable. There are also secondary benefits, such as 8% holiday allowance per year and the end of year allowance of 8.3%.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
Applications may only be submitted by using the link below.
Your application must include a curriculum vitae and a letter of motivation. Please combine these documents in one single attachment and upload via ‘CV’.
Applications will be accepted until 1 September 2018. #LI-DNP
No agencies please