PPLE Student Counsellor/Policy Officer
- Publication date
- 6 December 2018
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €2,709 to €4,274 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- Closing date
- 6 January 2019
- 22,8 to 30,4 hours per week
- Vacancy number
Since September 2014, PPLE College at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) offers an international bachelor in Politics, Psychology, Law & Economics (PPLE). PPLE College is a collaborative effort by the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, the Faculty of Economics and Business and the Amsterdam Law School.
PPLE College offers students an academic programme focused on the challenges science and society face at the intersections of its four disciplines. PPLE College is founded on the following four principles:
- an interdisciplinary environment;
- small-scale institute and intensive English language curriculum;
- a research-based learning programme and;
- an inspiring international learning community.
PPLE is a selective honours programme. Prospective students have a strong academic background, are highly motivated and are from both the Netherlands and abroad. The programme features intensive tutoring system, inspiring educators and dedicated staff.
Part of the academic experience and study environment for students at PPLE College, is the high level of personal guidance provided by faculty and other members of the PPLE team; our student counsellors play a vital role in our guidance system. PPLE is in search of a new PPLE Student counsellor/Policy officer.
As a student counsellor, you will help students by giving personal support and assistance. You will work closely together with another student counsellor and a team of mentors, that primarily provide academic guidance. If potential personal problems are detected and the mentor cannot help the student, the counsellor becomes involved. The counsellor helps students adjust to studying at university and helps them handle various life challenges. The counsellor gives students advice about extra-curricular opportunities, such as taking electives. The student counsellor will also give guidance to students with disabilities and/or study problems and has a direct referral function to medical and paramedical staff (e.g. student psychologists) within the university. We are looking for a candidate that is particularly aware of the fact that our international student population, more than half or our students are from abroad, has specific questions and needs. You should feel comfortable in such a diverse work environment.
As student counsellor you will also have a ‘policy’ role, primarily in the area of quality assurance. We closely monitor the quality of our education, through student evaluations, panel meetings, feedback on assessments and with the help of the Examinations Board and the Programme Committee. As a policy officer, you will safeguard these various processes by making sure everything is administered correctly and relevant staff members are informed.
Since PPLE is a relatively new programme, we are looking for a pro-active, creative team player that is able to identify room for improvement and initiate new and more efficient ways supporting our students. PPLE College has around 600 students in total.
- Guiding and advising students with study related or other problems;
- making individual study plans by advising students on academic planning, curriculum, continue / discontinue of study and evaluating their own performance;
- referring students, if necessary, to other counsellors, psychologists or career centre;
- referring students to the Examinations Board;
- informing students about programme related rules and regulations;
- monitoring overall progress of students (including first-year (pre) advice), signal delays and blockages;
- organizing information meetings during the first year on the major choice in the second year;
- coordinating Binding Study Advice procedure for PPLE;
- playing an active role in quality assurance cycle (coordinating student evaluations, panel meetings, feedback on assessments, etc.);
- reviewing PPLE policy regarding quality assurance;
- working closely with the Examinations Board and the Board of Studies regarding PPLE policy;
- being involved in other policy tasks, in close cooperation with the Programme Manager.
As Student counsellor at PPLE you:
- have a bachelor’s degree, Master's degree preferred;
- have a minimum of two years relevant work experience as student counsellor and policy officer;
- have experience in working in inter/multidisciplinary education;
- have excellent written and spoken command of English (native or near-native);
- have excellent organisational and communications skills;
- are a proactive, independent and flexible organiser and self-igniting team player;
- have a non-conformist and out-of-the-box work ethic with a meticulous attention to detail;
- have experience with working with international students;
- have experience with working with excellence/honours programme;
- have the willingness to take an pro-active part in the development of student guidance at PPLE;
- have the willingness to take part in additional PPLE activities, such as the Talent Development Programme and PPLE as a community;
- have availability during the summer period for the Binding Study Advice procedure.
For further information, please contact:
- Bram Creusen, Programme Manager at PPLE College
The appointment will be 22,8 to 30,4 hours per week for one year; subject to satisfactory performance a permanent position will follow. The gross full-time monthly salary will be in accordance with the salary scales for Study Advisor 1 at Dutch universities, i.e. ranging from €2,709 to €4,274. The Collective Labour Agreement (Cao) of Dutch Universities is applicable.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
You may direct your letter of application, including a curriculum vitae to the Selection committee using the link below. Please mention vacancy number 18-724.
Interviews will be scheduled in January 2019. #LI-POST
No agencies please