Quality Officer Institutional Research
Amsterdam University College and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Publication date
- 6 December 2018
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €2,640 to €4,166 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- Closing date
- 4 January 2019
- 31 to 35 hours per week
- Vacancy number
The Amsterdam University College (AUC) and the department Student- & Onderwijszaken (SOZ) of the Onderwijsbeleid, Kwaliteitszorg en Procesregie (OKP) service of the Vrije Universiteit Amstersdam (VU) are seeking to appoint a Quality Officer / Beleidsmedewerker. The combined position involves institutional research from different perspectives and generates synergy between the two positions .
Amsterdam University College (AUC) was established by the VU and the UvA in 2009. It offers an international Liberal Arts and Sciences Bachelor (Honours) programme for approximately 900 students. As a centre of excellence in higher education in Amsterdam, AUC aims to serve as an example and source of inspiration for other study programmes. Furthermore AUC wants to continue to innovate and develop its programme and teaching approaches. We keep track of student progress, student satisfaction, student results and admissions and alumni data, but additional institutional research is required to assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the programme.
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU) is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. The Student & Education Affairs (SOZ) department provides services to Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam students and staff. Working at Student & Educational Affairs means working at the heart of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. You will be involved in many of the university’s central processes and you will work closely with the faculties and their staff. In the department Educational Policy, Quality Assurance and Process Management (OKP), we work on developing a distinctive educational policy. We support and evaluate teaching practice and logistics, from initial enrolment to graduation. Within the team Evaluation of Education, Quality of Assessment and Institutional Research (OTIR), you will investigate the quality and effectivity of education and assessment, and you will seek insight into factors which contribute to improvement.
The main task is to contribute to the assessment of the effectiveness and efficiency of AUC’s teaching programme. Specific tasks may vary over time, depending on the questions of the Management Team, Heads of Studies, Board of Studies (opleidingscommissie), and other stakeholders but may include for example :
- gathering and interpreting data from various sources (surveys, UvAdata, etc.);
- investigating the connection between AUC’s programme and the graduate programmes our alumni enrolled in;
- assessing the effectiveness of our admission process in relation to study success;
- assessing the effects of the BSA on study behaviour;
- assisting with writing articles on how we teach;
- assisting with writing proposals for additional funding for teaching innovation.
The Quality Officer reports to the AUC Director of Education.
The position involves a number of tasks related to the quality analysis of teaching and assessments, such as the analysis of student evaluations and exams. Components of the job include taking care of the analysis, reporting and advising lecturers and programme managers and contributing to the improvement of education and assessment. The beleidsmedewerker will cooperate with other central and faculty quality officers and lecturers. The tasks include:
- advising programme managers and lecturers on evaluation and improvement of education and assessment;
- analysing student evaluations and reporting to lecturers and programme managers:
- setting up and processing digital surveys;
- independently analysing and processing multiple choice exams;
- assessing the quality of assessment and assessment policies of programmes for midterm evaluations;
- data processing and statistical analysis related to other projects.
The beleidsmedewerker reports to the team leader at the VU.
- A university degree at master’s level;
- commitment to developing excellence and diversity in teaching and learning;
- good communication skills and a pro-active attitude;
- have excellent levels in English and Dutch (C1 level or higher);
- knowledge of and affinity with survey design and data analysis;
- experience with reliability and regression analysis, and knowledge of test theory;
- knowledge of and experience with Excel and R for data analysis;
- analytical skills and organisational sensitivity;
- good observational and advising skills.
Experience with quality assurance in higher education is preferred.
If you require more information about the position, please contact:
- (AUC) Dr Michiel van Drunen, Director of Education
- (VU) Drs Christoffel Reumer, Teamleider
We are offering a double part-time appointment (15 to 19 hours for AUC (UvA contract) and 16 hours for VU). Salary will be €2,640 to €4,166 gross per month based on 38 hours a week (scale 10), depending on academic record and experience. UFO profile is Policy Officer/Beleidsmedewerker 4.
The VU and AUC (UvA) will each offer one-year contracts, each with the possibility of extension. We prefer to appoint the same person to both positions. The Quality Officer will work at two locations: 2 to 2,5 days per week at AUC (Amsterdam Science Park ) and 2 days per week at the VU (Zuidas, Amsterdam).
The VU and UvA are equal opportunity employers. We both celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
Your applications with CV (in English or Dutch) should be sent by email to email@example.com. Please address your application letter to Dr Michiel van Drunen and Drs Christoffel Reumer. The closing date for applications is 4 January 2019, applications received after this date cannot be considered. #LI-POST
No agencies please