Research Institutes and Projects
Media Studies has a rich and diverse research culture which is reflected in the national and local research schools and-projects.
- The Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA)
- The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
National Research Schools, in which staff members are involved:
– Research School for Media Studies (RMeS), for PhD training and research dissemination. A collaboration of eight Dutch universities led by the UvA.
– Netherlands Institute for Cultural Analysis (NICA).
– Huizinga Institute for the Study of Cultural History.
Research priority areas
The Faculty of Humanities has two research priority areas where Media Studies scholars assume strong roles:
- Amsterdam Centre for Globalisation Studies (ACGS), with projects concerning global mobility, aesthetics, and connectivity.
- Amsterdam Centre for Cultural Heritage and Identity (ACHI), which includes research into display cultures and digital heritage. Most important research project: CREATE (Creative Amsterdam: An E-Humanities Perspective), that investigates the Creative industries of Amsterdam (1600-2016).