Europe: The bigger Picture
Europe is a continent with a long and turbulent history of cultural, political and economic exchange. The Bachelor’s in European Studies provides you with an overview of the politics, economics and law of the European Union (EU), while also introducing you to Europe’s history, literature and culture. Taught in English, the programme offers a broad perspective crucial to making sense of the challenges facing Europe today. It equips you with the knowledge and skills to address contemporary European issues such as the Eurozone crisis, the questions posed by multicultural societies, and the role of the EU in, for instance, its relations with the Ukraine and Russia.
Is European Studies right for you?
European Studies is the ideal programme for you if:
- You are interested in the history, culture, politics, economics and law of contemporary Europe.
- You would like to pursue a career at one of the European institutions, your national government, international (non) governmental organisations or in international business.
- You want to learn and be able to communicate in a new European language.
- You have a qualified pre-university diploma, preferably with some background in history, literature, languages, geography or other social sciences.
- You can demonstrate a good command of the English language.
Watch the video to learn more about the programme.
Why study European Studies at the UvA?
European Studies at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A broad programme: Study the politics, law, and economics of the European Union, and the historical, cultural and literary roots of today’s Europe. Learn more at Study programme.
- A choice of five focused majors: Specialise in European Literature and Culture, European History, East European Studies, European Law, and European Economics.
- The opportunity to master a foreign language: You can choose one of sixteen European languages.
- An international programme in both its outlook and staff.
- The opportunity to study in the historical centre of Amsterdam, a European hub with a rich historical and cultural heritage.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of the UvA's many Master's programmes.
Rankings and reputation
The University of Amsterdam offers a world-class education in the Arts and Humanities:
- UvA is ranked 52nd in the world and 1st in the Netherlands in the Arts and Humanities in the QS World University Rankings 2015.
- UvA is ranked 45th in the THE Top 100 sub-ranking for the Arts and Humanities (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015)
- UvA is member of LERU (League of European Research Universities), exclusive network of renowned research universities.
- UvA is a member of Universitas 21, the network of leading research-intensive universities in the 21st century in 13 countries.
European Studies is an accredited degree programme. After completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- Degree programme
- BA European Studies
- 180 ECTS, 36 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- CROHO code