Amsterdam Creative City: Media, Art and Culture
- 6 ECTS, 2-4 weeks
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
Exploring Amsterdam with an artist's eye
This intensive summer course uses Amsterdam as a living laboratory to explore the relationship between creativity, cities and globalisation. It combines theoretical readings and discussion-based seminars with extensive fieldwork in key locations across the city, ranging from the canal and museum districts in the historic city centre to more experimental or marginal sites like NDSM Wharf, Schiphol Airport, and the ring road.
In particular, the course looks at the ways in which global practices in art, media, and urban development are taking shape in a European city that has long functioned as a centre of cultural exchange.
In the first two weeks of the course, all students will meet daily for discussion seminars, site visits and urban fieldwork. Following the two-week intensive period, students taking the course for UvA credit will continue on to complete a two-week guided research or creative project on a topic related to creative urbanism. Working individually with an academic tutor, this project can be completed in Amsterdam or, subject to approval from the programme director, in another city of the student's choice.
Focus areas include:
- street art
- guerrilla gardening
- new media activism
- museum programming
- city planning
- architectural design
This interdisciplinary course is designed for undergraduate Bachelor's students from any humanities or social science background interested in studying art, cities, and globalisation from both theoretical and empirical perspectives.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- understand the place and role of Amsterdam in cultural globalisation and urban development since 1960.
- understand current trends and developments in contemporary art, media, and culture, particularly in relation to Amsterdam and Europe.
- grasp and critically engage with theoretical and methodological approaches to studying contemporary cities and cultures from an interdisciplinary humanities perspective.
- grasp and critically engage with main developments in the fields of globalisation studies, urban studies, and cultural/media studies.
- Dates: 16 June - 28 June, 2014 (intensive period for credit and non-credit
30 June - 11 July, 2014 (guided research/creative project for students earning credits)
- Application deadline: 15 May, 2014
- Academic director: Prof. Christoph Lindner
- Tuition: €1,000 (non-credit), €1,300 (credit)
- Academic level: undergraduate (Bachelor's)
Housing in Amsterdam is available for all students at approximately €400 for the two-week programme and approximately €700 for the four-week programme.
In addition, scholarships are available for students from LERU and U21 universities. Students from partner universities within the UvA’s Global Exchange Programme should also contact their home international office about scholarship possibilities.
Use the application form below to apply for the summer school Amsterdam Creative City: Media, Art and Culture.
Application deadline: 15 May 2014.