Research at the faculty
Research at the Faculty of Science focuses on the major scientific challenges in modern society. Research institutes work together on leading multidisciplinary research themes. They forge connections with partners in society and industry. Working in a project-oriented manner at the local, national and international levels enables development and reinforcement of specific areas of expertise.
Excellence in research
To maintain and reinforce our position as an outstanding research university, the University of Amsterdam has designated 20 research priority areas. The Faculty of Science is involved in five of these areas. It has added four priority areas of its own. These nine priority areas are a showcase of the Faculty’s distinctive expertise at both the national and international level.
Science is increasingly conducted on the cutting edge of creation and understanding. To facilitate this in a constructive manner, collaboration is essential. For this reason, the Faculty of Science participates in various consortia with other academic institutions. On the international stage, we are involved in a range of European Horizon 2020 projects. These consortia and research projects increasingly involve application-oriented industrial partners based in the Netherlands and abroad.
UvA and VU collaboration
The science faculties of the UvA and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam have been collaborating in many different areas for many years now. The goal of this collaboration is to improve teaching, research and knowledge valorisation. This objective is achieved by:
- Pooling substantively related research
- Sharing specialist facilities
- Collaborating with other science-related Bachelor's programmes
- Creating a scientific environment that attracts external parties
Eight research institutes are affiliated with the Faculty of Science in the disciplines of:
- Computing Science
- Life Sciences
For extensive information about Faculty of Science researchers and research areas, visit the website of the research institute in question:
- Anton Pannekoek Institute for Astronomy
- Informatics Institute
- Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED)
- Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC)
- Institute of Physics
- Korteweg-de Vries Institute for Mathematics
- Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences
- Van 't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences