dr. A. (Anne) Helmond
Faculty of Humanities
Capaciteitsgroep Media & Cultuur
Turfdraagsterpad 9 Room number: 2.16
1012 XT Amsterdam
Anne Helmond is assistant professor of New Media and Digital Culture . Since 2007, Anne has been a member of the Digital Methods Initiative research collective where she focuses her research on the infrastructure of social media platforms and apps. Her research interests include digital methods, software studies, platform studies, app studies, infrastructure studies and web history.
In her dissertation on ' The web as platform: Data flows in social media' she has developed the notion of "platformization" to understand the dual logic of social media platforms’ extension into the rest of the web and, simultaneously, their drive to make external web data “platform ready”. Her dissertation received an honorable mention in the AoIR 2016 Best Dissertation Award for standing “to make a significant long-term impact in the field”.
Anne’s work has been published in highly-ranked peer-reviewed journals such as New Media & Society, Theory, Culture and Society, Social Media + Society, First Monday, and Computational Culture.
Anne Helmond currently holds a Veni grant from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) for the project ‘App ecosystems: A critical history of apps’ (2017–2020).
- refereed (10)
- academic (4)
- professional (2)
- popular scientific (1)
- recognitions (4)
- doctoral thesis (1)
- Bucher, T., & Helmond, A. (2018). The Affordances of Social Media Platforms. In J. Burgess, A. Marwick, & T. Poell (Eds.), The SAGE Handbook of Social Media (pp. 233–253). Sage Publications. [details]
- Helmond, A. (2017). Historical Website Ecology: Analyzing Past States of the Web Using Archived Source Code. In N. Brügger (Ed.), Web 25: Histories from the First 25 Years of the World Wide Web (pp. 139-155). (Digital Formations; No. 112). New York: Peter Lang Publishing. [details]
- Helmond, A., Nieborg, D., & van der Vlist, F. (2017). The Political Economy of Social Data: A Historical Analysis of Platform–Industry Partnerships. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Social Media & Society  New York, NY: ACM Press. DOI: 10.1145/3097286.3097324 [details]
- Gerlitz, C., Helmond, A., van der Vlist, F., & Weltevrede, E. (2016). App Studies: Platform Rules and Methodological Challenges. In S. De Groote, & P. Majmundar (Eds.), Selected papers of AoIR 2016: The 17th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Reseachers: Berlin, Germany, 5-8 October 2016  (AoIR Selected Papers of Internet Research; Vol. 6). Chicago, IL: Association of Internet Researchers. [details]
- Helmond, A. (2015). The Platformization of the Web: Making Web Data Platform Ready. Social Media + Society, 1(2). DOI: 10.1177/2056305115603080 [details]
- Berry, D. M., Borra, E., Helmond, A., Plantin, J-C., & Rettberg, J. W. (2015). The Data Sprint Approach: Exploring the field of Digital Humanities through Amazon’s Application Programming Interface. Digital Humanities Quarterly, 9(3), . [details]
- van der Vlist, F. (Author), & Helmond, A. (Author). (2017). Speculative data selfies. Web publication/site, Internet Policy Review. [details]
- Helmond, A. (Author). (2014). The new Facebook data policy: like or dislike?. Web publication/site, Internet Policy Review. [details]
- Helmond, A. (2012). The Like economy: the politics of data and dataflows in the social web. Beiträge zur Bibliotheks- und Informationswissenschaft, 10-13. [details]
- Gerlitz, C., & Helmond, A. (2011). The Like economy: the social web in transition. In MIT7: Unstable Platforms, the Promise and Peril of Transition: abstracts and papers Cambridge, MA: MIT. [details]
- Helmond, A. (2009). Lifetracing. In S. Dietz, M. C. C. Gabriel, G. Lovink, N. Montfort, A. Bray, S. Dockray, J-A. Green, E. Navas, ... H. Thorington (Eds.), Networked: a (networked_book) about (networked_art) Roslindale, MA: Turbulence. [details]
- Helmond, A. (Author). (2014). Wat staat er in het nieuwe databeleid van Facebook?. Web publication/site, De Correspondent: .
- Helmond, Anne (2017): NWO Innovational Research Incentives Scheme Veni.
- Helmond, Anne (2017): Cutting Edge Research Fund: Network Grant - Initiate.
- Helmond, Anne (2016): 2016 Best Dissertation Award (honorable mention).
- Helmond, Anne (19-08-2017): Zo kijken ze met u mee [Print] Elsevier. Zo kijken ze met u mee.
- Helmond, A. (2015). The web as platform: Data flows in social media [details]
fotografie & webdesign