dr. I.Y. (Itamar) Shachar
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Moving Matters: People, Goods, Power and Ideas
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
My main research interest is in the rise of ‘volunteering’ as an object of public interest and promotion, and the subjects that this form of participation produces. I studied Non-Governmental Organizations that promote and coordinate volunteering, as well as companies that encourage their employees to volunteer as part of Corporate Social Responsibility schemes.
My post-doctoral research project is titled “Conscripted Volunteering: An Ethnographic Study of Community Engagement Schemes in the Israeli Military”.
I have experience in a variety of ethnographic and qualitative research methods, including multi-sited ethnography. I conducted research in Israel, Belgium and the US.
- Shachar, I. Y., Hustinx, L., Roza, L., & Meijs, L. C. P. M. (2018). A new spirit across sectors: Constructing a common justification for corporate volunteering. European Journal of Cultural and Political Sociology, 5(1-2), 90-115.
- Shachar, I. Y., & Hustinx, L. (2017). Modalities of agency in a corporate volunteering program: Cultivating a resource of neoliberal governmentality. Ethnography. DOI: 10.1177/1466138117741503
- Hustinx, L., Shachar, I. Y., Handy, F., & Smith, D. H. (2016). Changing Nature of Formal Service Program Volunteering. In D. H. Smith, R. A. Stebbins, & J. Grotz (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Volunteering, Civic Participation, and Nonprofit Associations (Vol. 1, pp. 349-365). Houndmills, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-137-26317-9_17 [details]
- Shachar, I. Y. (2015). 'Going back to our values': Restoring symbolic hegemony through promoting 'Volunteering'. In L. Hustinx, J. Von Essen, J. Haers, & S. Mels (Eds.), Religion and Volunteering: Complex, Contested and Ambiguous Relationships (pp. 305-327). (Nonprofit and Civil Society Studies). New York, NY: Springer.
- Shachar, I. Y. (2014). The White Management of ‘Volunteering’: Ethnographic Evidence from an Israeli NGO. VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, 25(6), 1417-1440. DOI: 10.1007/s11266-013-9398-x
- Shachar, I. Y. (2012). "How to Feel Safe": International Students Study Migration. Amsterdam Social Science, 4(1), 73-92.
- Shachar, I. Y. (2017). The Moralisation of Society and the Rise of ‘Conscripted Volunteering’. Abstract from 13th conference of the European Sociological Association , Athens, Greece.