What we don’t see; The Side Wings of Slavery & Colonialism
This lecture series brings together different, less exposed themes on Dutch slavery and colonialism. The course intends to educate students about more than the general perception of slavery and colonialism.
Slavery in the former Dutch colonies is often discussed with reference to an overall picture about Trans-Atlantic slavery. The focus of this course is about what we don’t know, but should know about slavery. Why is it that the Dutch East Indies were long neglected when it comes to slavery, while numerically it is comparable with slavery in the Caribbean? How did Africans who were dragged to the New World in slave shackles, still achieved success in their lives? What was the significance of art and cultural expressions like dance in colonial times? Which traces of slavery are still visible in modern socieity? These are all questions that will be adressed.
Topics that will be discussed include:
- Slavery in the East
- Dance & slavery
- Traces of slavery in the modern Dutch society
- Slavery & material culture
- The coloured elite in colonial Suriname 1800-1863
- Slavery; heritage in Ghana & Curaçao
The final lecture will be formed by a final debate with a panel. Members of the panel will answer questions asked/submitted by the students.
- Coordination: Prof. Dr. Michiel van Kempen;
- Drs Reggie Baay, Dr Aminata Cairo, Mr Mitchell Esajas, Dr Wayne Modest, Dr Ellen Neslo, Dr Valika Smeulders
A reader and print texts.
Assessment will be based on a final paper which will be published on http://werkgroepcaraibischeletteren.nl/
Check Datanose for the exact information.
Check the website.
- Can register in SIS (look for code 5512SLAV3Y) until a week before the start of the course.
- Such as contract students or students from other institutions, interested can register from June 14 through the registration form.
If you have any trouble while registering please contact: Keuzeonderwijsemail@example.com
- Short-term, open uva courses
- 3 ECTS,
- Language of instruction
- Starts in