Theatre Studies (Arts and Culture)
The Master's programme in Theatre Studies offers you an opportunity to specialise in theatre and performance in one of the world’s most vibrant theatre cities.
Researching the Performing Arts
The Theatre Studies programme engages with theatre and performance in terms of their rich histories and legacies, as well as their entanglements with contemporary social, political and cultural debates. It teaches methods of research to equip you with the capacity to critically and persuasively reflect on the performing arts.
Why study Theatre Studies at the University of Amsterdam
- The UvA has the only dedicated Theatre Studies department in the Netherlands with undergraduate and graduate programmes, and strong ties with cultural venues and practitioners in the city.
- The opportunity to study in Amsterdam, a vibrant and creative cultural hub and the hotspot for theatre and performing arts in the Netherlands.
- You benefit from faculty expertise in four main areas: theatre history and historiography, theatre in education and sociology, applied and community arts research, and performance theory.
- Preparation for a wide range of careers in theatre and performance: from scholarly research, arts administration or theatre in education to archival work, cultural programming and more.
- A programme committed to heightening sensitivities in the discipline with questions about colonialism, race, gender and sexuality, as well as inequalities on a global scale.
- Rigorous mentorship and sustained guidance in all stages of your dissertation research.
Theatre Studies is an accredited degree programme of Arts and Culture. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in Arts and Culture and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our factsheet.
- MA Arts and Culture
- Regulier onderwijs
- Voltijd, deeltijd
- 60 EC, 12 maanden