Argumentation, Rhetoric and Communication
In this Research Master’s programme, you will develop a thorough understanding of the ways in which language is used as a means of convincing others, studying argumentation and rhetoric in a range of communicative contexts.
The Research Master’s programme Argumentation, Rhetoric, and Communication focuses on the study of argumentation and rhetoric in a range of communicative contexts, including politics, law, healthcare and science. You will:
- Learn to reflect on the most important methods and approaches to the analysis and evaluation of rhetorical and argumentative characteristics;
- Explore key developments in the fields of communication and discourse studies;
- Discuss and examine crucial concepts from rhetoric and argumentation theory as they apply to argumentative discourse analysis, evaluation, and production;
- Use insights from the philosophy of language and pragmatics, relevance theory, discourse analysis, cognitive linguistics, and metaphor theory as a framework for your studies.
- Develop the methods and techniques of qualitative and quantitative empirical research;
- Conduct thorough and theoretically justified analyses, case studies, corpus research, and other types of investigations of real-life discussions and texts.
Argumentation, Rhetoric and Communication at the University of Amsterdam
The Research Master's programme offers you:
- A world class education in Communication studies ranked first in the world according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject in 2018.
- A unique combination of theory and practice, providing you with the skills needed in a professional communications career.
- A programme rooted in the rigorous development of quantitative and qualitative research skills.
- Amsterdam is a vibrant and creative cultural hub with a pioneering communications and argumentation research centre.
- An international staff of world-renowned researchers and experts from the Argumentation and Rhetoric Group Amsterdam to guide you during your studies.
- An intimate and personable learning environment in which you have direct contact with the scholars.
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our factsheet.
Argumentation, Rhetoric and Communication is a programme of the accredited Master’s degree programme Communication and Information Studies. After successful completion of this programme, students receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in Communication and Information Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
- Research MA Communication and Information Studies (research)
- Regulier onderwijs
- 120 EC, 24 maanden