mw. P.H. (Penny) Sheets Thibaut
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Political Communication & Journalism
1018 WV Amsterdam
Originally from the United States, I've been working in the Department of Communication Science since August, 2011. I received my Ph.D. in Communication in 2011 from the University of Washington, and I received an M.A. in Mass Communication from the University of Minnesota, in 2006.
My research and teaching focus on political communication, news, and public opinion, with a specific interest in how group identity cues--particularly about nation, race, and religion--by political actors and journalists affect political attitudes and behavior. Please navigate to the adjacent pages for more information on my research and teaching.
I teach in the Bachelor and Master programs in Political Communication, as well as in the 2-year Erasmus Mundus Masters Program in Journalism, Media & Globalization.
My current research falls primarily into two domains - one related to national identity and foreign policy, and the other related to immigration and integration of racial and religious minorities.
National identity-protective framing and military policy
...with Chuck Rowling (University of Nebraska-Kearney), Jason Gilmore (Utah State University), and Tim Jones (Bellevue College). In these studies, we have developed a framework for understanding how the White House and U.S. military rhetorically respond to crisis--from torture allegations to mis-targeted drone strikes, how journalists in turn report on such responses, and how voters are affected by such patterns. This includes both international comparative and U.S.-based research. Our next steps are to extend our framework to an international context, examining foreign military crisis framing and news.
Immigration cues and far-right support
My research with colleauges here at ASCoR looks at the role of group identity cues in immigration and political debates in the European context. We examine effects of news messages on explicit and implicit support for far-right populist parties, as well as the role of message form in affecting both Muslim immigrant and native Dutch attitudes toward immigration- and integration-related issues.
For a copy of my CV, please feel free to email me.
My teaching, like my research, focuses substantially on the relationships between political actors, mass media, and public opinion. At UvA, I teach a number of courses focusing on these issues, as well as on research methods.
At the Masters level, I regularly teach Journalism & the Media, Political Marketing, and Methods and Statistics Tailored to the Thesis. Occasionally we'll offer special topic courses on the American presidential elections as well.
At the Bachelors level, I regularly teach the Topic: National Identity & the News, and I'll be involved in future English-language track versions of The Media Landscape and Introduction to Communciation Science.
I also regularly supervise both Pol Com and Erasmus Mundus thesis students.
Online appendices for select publications will be made available here, with the accompanying citation.
- C.M. Rowling, P. Sheets & T.M. Jones (2013). Frame contestation in the news: national identity, cultural resonance, and U.S. drone policy. International Journal of Communication, 7, 2231-2253.
- P. Sheets, D.S. Domke, C. Wells, C.J. Lingle, A. Ballantyne, F. Al-Sumait & K. Cordingley (2011). America, America: national identity, presidential debates, and national mood. Mass Communication & Society, 14 (6), 765-786. doi: 10.1080/15205436.2010.551017
- C.M. Rowling, T.M. Jones & P. Sheets (2011). Some dared call it torture: cultural resonance, Abu Ghraib, and a selectively echoing press. Journal of Communication, 61 (6), 1043-1061. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-2466.2011.01600.x
- P. Sheets, D.S. Domke & A.G. Greenwald (2011). God and country: the partisan psychology of the presidency, religion, and nation. Political Psychology, 32 (3), 459-484. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9221.2010.00820.x
- P.N. Howard, L. Busch & P. Sheets (2010). Which public policies help narrow the digital divide? Internet access and social inequality in Canada and the United States. Canadian Journal of Communication, 35, 109-128.
- T.M. Jones & P. Sheets (2009). Torture in the eye of the beholder: Social identity, news coverage, and Abu Ghraib. Political Communication, 26 (3), 278-295. doi: 10.1080/10584600903053460
- M.E. Wojcieszak, R. Azrout, H.G. Boomgaarden, A.P. Alencar & P. Sheets (2015). The influence of narrative and numerical messages on integration-relevant attitudes among muslim immigrant minorities. In Paper presented at the meeting of the International Communication Association 2015, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico.
- P. Sheets, L. Bos & H.G. Boomgaarden (2014). Media Cues and Citizen Support for Right-Wing Populist Parties. In Paper presented at the conference of the Midwest Political Science Association Chicago, IL.
- H.G. Boomgaarden, P. Sheets & L. Bos (2014). Explicit and Implicit Measurement of Far-right Party Support. In Paper presented at the conference of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, IL.
- C.M. Rowling, J. Gilmore & P. Sheets (2014). When threats are internal: Cascading frames, national identity, and the U.S. war in Afghanistan. In Paper presented at the International Studies Association Convention, Toronto, Canada.
- L. Bos, J. Lefevere, R. Thijssen & P. Sheets (2014). The impact of media coverage on right-wing populist parties: The role of issue ownership. In Paper presented at the meeting of the European Consortium for Political Research, Glasgow, Scotland.
- C.M. Rowling & P. Sheets (2014). Managing atrocity: National identity and strategic political communication, from My Lai to Abu Ghraib. In Paper presented at the meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, USA..
- P. Sheets, L. Bos & H. Boomgaarden (2013). Media cues and citizen support for right-wing populist parties. In Paper presented at the Etmaal van de Communicatiewetenschap, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- P. Sheets, L. Bos & H. Boomgaarden (2013). Media cues and citizen support for right-wing populist parties. In Paper presented at the Council for European Studies Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- P. Sheets, C.M. Rowling & T.M. Jones (2013). Differential news framing of unmanned aerial drones: A cross-national comparison. In Paper presented at the Media, War & Conflict 5th Anniversary Conference, London, UK.
- P. Sheets, L. Bos & H. Boomgaarden (2013). Media cues and citizen support for right-wing populist parties. In Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Hilton Metropole Hotel, London, England, Jun 17, 2013 Vol. 2013. Conference papers: International Communication Association: annual meeting. Washington, DC: International Communication Association.
- Y. Lelkes, A. Malka & P. Sheets (2013). Democratic like us? The effects of anti-semitism, political orientation, and democracy salience on attitudes toward Israel. In Paper presented at the New York Area Political Psychology Workshop, New York, USA.
- H.G. Boomgaarden, P. Sheets & L. Bos (2013). Implicit and explicit measures of far-right support. In Paper presented at the European Consortium of Political Research, Bordeaux, France.
- P. Sheets, C.M. Rowling & T.M. Jones (2013). American Atrocity Revisited: National Identity, My Lai and a Selectively Echoing Press. In Paper presented at the meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, IL.
- P. Sheets, L. Bos & H.G. Boomgaarden (2013). Media cues and support for right-wing populist parties. In Paper presented at the European Consortium for Political Research, Bordeaux, France.
- P. Sheets, C. Rowling & T. Jones (2012). Differential news framing of unmanned aerial drones: efficient and effective or illegal and inhumane? In Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association, Sheraton Phoenix Downtown, Phoenix, AZ, May 24, 2012 Vol. 2012. Conference papers: International Communication Association: annual meeting. Washington, DC: International Communication Association.
- P. Sheets, C.M. Rowling & T.M. Jones (2011). Differential news framing of unmanned aerial drones: Efficient and effective or illegal and inhumane? In Paper Presented at the American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- C.M. Rowling, P. Sheets & T.M. Jones (2011). See no evil, hear no evil: National identity, drone warfare, and culturally resonant frames. In Paper presented at the American Association of Public Opinion Researchers Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ.
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden