mw. A. (Anouk) Zuurmond MA
Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
Capaciteitsgroep Nederlandse Letterkunde
Spuistraat 134 Amsterdam
1012 VB Amsterdam
Anouk Zuurmond works as a teacher educator at the University of Applied Sciences Utrecht (HU). In 2014, she started her PhD research project titled Transnational Literary Projects and the European Identity. Her research position is the result of a collaboration between the University of Applied Sciences Utrecht and the University of Amsterdam.
Short description PhD-research project
As financial and political crises make issues of a shared European identity more pressing, the question of what binds us together is currently discussed with an increased sense of urgency. To facilitate such reflections on a shared identity, different transnational projects have been instigated by cultural organizations, promoted by and mostly with financial support from EU-programs and institutes. Five of these cross-border initiatives, deployed since 2000, will serve as case-studies to ask what the strategies and effects have been of these projects.
The main question at the heart of the proposed research is: What are the strategies and effects of these transnational literary projects? All of these transnational projects are based on a shared strategy to produce a similar effect, namely to engage intellectuals in the debate on a European identity from a literary perspective. These initiatives thus offer an opportunity to research this strategy by analyzing the intentions held by the organizers of these projects and asking why literature is deemed a valuable contribution to this debate. The effects will be assessed by looking at the outcome of these projects: both the cultural artefacts resulting from these projects and the role of these projects in light of the public debate on a European identity.
Supervisor: prof. dr. Thomas Vaessens
Supervisor: prof. dr. Michael Wintle
Supervisor HU / UU: prof. dr. Cok Bakker
- Zuurmond, A. (2016). Shared Stories and Creative Dissonances: How Can Literature Contribute to Current Reﬂections on European Identity? Frame, 29(1), 63-81. [details]
- Zuurmond, A. (2016). Teaching for Love of the World: Hannah Arendt on the Complexities of the Educational Praxis. In C. Bakker, & N. Montesano Montessori (Eds.), Complexity in Education. From Horror to Passion. (pp. 55-74). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. [details]
- Zuurmond, A. (2016). Docenten, kauw leerlingen niet voor wat hip is. De Volkskrant. [details]
- Zuurmond, A. (2015). Naar de 'grote context'. Een Europese dimensie in het literatuuronderwijs. Levende Talen Magazine, 16-19. [details]
- Bijl, P.A.L., Bogman, J.H., Essink, F.M. & Zuurmond, A. (2013): Course of the Year of the Dutch Department for "Grondslagen: Literatuur, tekst en betekenis".