dhr. dr. B. (Bart) Karstens
Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
Capaciteitsgroep Media & Cultuur
Science Park A
1090 GL Amsterdam
I study the formation of ideas, methods, techniques, etc. that the sciences and the humanities comprise, including processes of acceptance (or rejection) of these ideas, methods and techniques, and their wider dissemination in society and culture. Currently I am employed as a postdoctoral research fellow in the NWO sponsored project 'The Flow of Cognitive Goods. Towards a Post-Disciplinary History of Knowledge' (2016-2020). Before entering this project I was a postdoctoral researcher at ILLC and ACLE in the project ‘Legal Structures’ (2014-2016).
I am a member of the Vossius Center for the History of Humanities and Sciences, managing editor of the journal History of Humanities and executive officer of the Society for the History of Humanities. Within the context of the Vossius Center I coordinate the Vossius Circle for the History of Linguistics. My areas of specialization include: conceptualization of the notion of error, historical epistemology of the notions of structure and structuralism, discipline formation, comparativism, history and philosophy of science, historiography of science, history of linguistics, history of the humanities and digital culture. Students interested in these areas and/or specific topics can approach me for tutorials, thesis projects, etc.
- Karstens, B., & Bouterse, J. (2015). A Diversity of Divisions: Tracing the History of the Demarcation between the Sciences and the Humanities. Isis, 106(2), 341-352. DOI: 10.1086/681995
- Karstens, B. (2014). The Lack of a Satisfactory Conceptualization of the Notion of Error in Historiography of Science: Two Main Approaches and their Shortcomings. In G. Hon, M. Boumans, & A. C. Petersen (Eds.), Error and Uncertainty in Scientific Practice. (pp. 13-37). London: Pickering & Chatto.
- Karstens, B. (2014). The Peculiar Maturation of the History of Science. In R. Bod, J. Maat, & T. Weststeijn (Eds.), The making of the humanities. - Vol. 3: The modern humanities (pp. 183-203). Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. [details]
- Karstens, B., Koolen, M., Dari Mattiacci, G., Bod, R., & Ginsburg, T. (2014). Reference Structures of National Constitutions. In R. Winkels, & N. Lettieri (Eds.), NAiL 2014: 2nd international workshop on "Network Analysis in Law": Wednesday december 10th 2014: in conjunction with JURIX 2014: 27th International Conference on Legal Knowledge and Information Systems, Krakow, Poland. Amsterdam: [S.n.].
- Karstens, B. (2015). [Bespreking van: P.J. van Strien (2011) Psychologie van de wetenschap : creativiteit, serendipiteit, de persoonlijke factor en de sociale context]. Studium, 8(4). DOI: 10.18352/studium.10123
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden