dhr. dr. T. (Tim) Theeboom
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Work and Organizational Psychology
Nieuwe Achtergracht 129
1001 NK Amsterdam
In my research, I mainly focus on the effects of coaching. Since empirical research on coaching psychology is relatively sparse, some basic questions still need to be answered. What is coaching exactly? How should we assess the effects of coaching? Do perceptions about effectiveness differ between coaches and coachees? What works in coaching? I aim to combine both quantitative and qualitative research to answer these fundamental questions. Other interests are:
- Human resource development
- Sustainable employment
- Personal and Organizational change
Theeboom, T., Beersma, B., & van Vianen, A. E. (2014). Does coaching work? A meta-analysis on the effects of coaching on individual level outcomes in an organizational context. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 1-18
Theeboom, T., Beersma, B., & van Vianen, A. E. (2013). Wat is coaching en werkt het? Tijdschrift voor Coaching, 3, 97-100.
Passmore, J. & Theeboom, T. (In Press). Coaching Psychology: A journey of development in research. In Coaching Psychology: Meta-theoretical perspectives and applications in multi-cultural contexts. Springer.
Theeboom, T. (In press). The Current State of Research on Coaching in Organizations. In Coaching in Professional Contexts. Sage publications.
Theeboom, T., Beersma, B., & Van Vianen, A. E. M. (revision under review). The Differential Effects of Solution-Focused and Problem-Focused Coaching Questions on the Affect, Attentional Control and Cognitive Flexibility of Undergraduate Students Experiencing Study-Related Stress.
Theeboom, T., Van Vianen, A. E. M., & Beersma, B. (paper being prepared for submission). A bottom-up conceptualization of coaching effectiveness
Theeboom, T., Beersma, B., & Van Vianen, A. E. M. (being prepared for submission). Coaching and the Transtheoretical Model of Change: a Temporal Map of the Coaching Process.
For a full list of publications, see my linkedln profile
Work as a Teacher
I coordinate and teach our master-level course on coaching. Furthermore I taught our Career Management course in 2015 and supervised multiple work-groups, bachelor and mastertheses and internships.
As a consultant and researcher I aim to bridge the gap between research and practice, scholars and practitioners. Translating psychological knowledge into organizational practice (on both theorganizational and individual level) as a consultant, trainer and coach is my main strength and source of energy. Specific topics include: Coaching (Topic of my PhD); Personal and professional development; Careers and employability; Well-being.
For additional information, see my linkedln profile
After my studies, I worked as a consultant and trainer for Abell & Erselina (which is now a subdivsion of Leeuwendaal). A consultancy agency specialized in diversity in organizations. During this period I was involved in several major projects including work for commercial, governmental and non-profit organisations. During this period I also worked as a project-manager (mainly responsible for developing the audit, marketing and PR) for the Diversiteit Top 50.
In march 2011 I started to work for Impuls organisatieadvies, a consultancy agency specialized in professional training and coaching in educational settings. Since june 2013, I joined the ' Instituut voor Positieve Psychologie' as a freelance consultant.
For additional information, see my linkedln profile
2008-2009 Msc. I&O Psychology (cum Laude), UvA
2005-2008 Bsc. I&O Psychology (cum Laude), UvA
For a full list of additional courses and training programs, see my linkedln profile
- Theeboom, T., van Vianen, A. E. M., Beersma, B., Zwitser, R., & Kobayashi, V. (2018). A practitioner’s perspective on coaching effectiveness. In L. Nota, & S. Soresi (Eds.), Counseling and coaching in time of crisis and transitions: From research to practice (pp. 61-76). Abingdon: Routledge. [details]
- Theeboom, T., Beersma, B., & van Vianen, A. E. M. (2016). The differential effects of solution-focused and problem-focused coaching questions on the affect, attentional control and cognitive flexibility of undergraduate students experiencing study-related stress. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 11(5), 460-469. DOI: 10.1080/17439760.2015.1117126 [details]
- Theeboom, T., Beersma, B., & van Vianen, A. (2013). Wat is coaching en werkt het? Tijdschrift voor coaching, 2013(3), 97-100. [details]
- Theeboom, T., Beersma, B., & van Vianen, A. E. M. (2013). Coaching in organizations. A meta-analytic review of individual level effects. Abstract from The 73rd Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Orlando, August, .
- Theeboom, T. (consultant) (2017). Guest Lecturer Schouten & Nelissen University, Schouten & Nelissen (consultancy).
- van Vianen, A. E. M. (participant), Theeboom, T. (participant), Bakker-Pieper, A. (participant), van den Heuvel, M. (participant), van den Hee, S. M. (participant), de Hoog, M. (participant), … Solms, L. (participant) (1-9-2016 - 1-9-2021). Het Challenge & Support Project. (other).
- Theeboom, T. (2016). Workplace coaching: Processes and effects [details]
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden