mw. M.J. (Merel) van der Vaart MA
Faculteit der Geesteswetenschappen
Capaciteitsgroep Algemene Cultuurwetenschappen
Turfdraagsterpad 15 Amsterdam
1012 XT Amsterdam
Merel van der Vaart is a PhD Researcher with the Allard Pierson Museum and the department of Media Studies. Her research focuses on the user experience & usability of digital media in museums, with an emphasis on visitor engagement and social interaction. Her research is part of the EU funded project Material EncounterS with digital Cultural Heritage (meSch).
She previously worked at the Science Museum in London as their first Associate Curator of Public History, where she was responsible for co-creative projects and processes both online and on-site. Among other things she worked on the Oramics to Electronica project, working together with electronic music enthusiasts, and the AHRC funded Enfield Exchange project, which saw part of the Enfield Telephone Exchange switchboard temporarily being returned to the local community.
In 2010 she worked as a Research Assistant for the LIVE!Museum project at the University of Leicester’s School of Museum Studies. The research focus of this project was to find new ways in which the online and on-site museum experience could be merged. She wrote her master thesis on the way on-site digital installations impact on social interaction among visitors.
Her special interests include: the relationship between people, objects and information; audience engagement, participation & co-creation; social interaction in the museum space; and merging online and on-site experiences. Merel holds degrees in Museology (cum laude) and Language & Culture Studies (University of Utrecht) , as well as an MA in Museum Studies (University of Leicester).
- Damala, A., Hornecker, E., van der Vaart, M. J., van Dijk, D., & Ian, R. (2016). The Loupe:: tangible augmented reality for learning to look at Ancient Greek art. Mediterranean Archaeology and Archaeometry, 16(5), 73-85. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.204970 [details]
- Hashemi, S. H., Hupperetz, W. M. H., Kamps, J., & Vaart, M. V. D. (2016). Effects of Position and Time Bias on Understanding Onsite Users' Behavior. In CHIIR'16: Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. (pp. 277-280). ACM. [details]
- van der Vaart, M., & Damala, A. (2015). Through the Loupe: Visitor engagement with a primarily text-based handheld AR application. In G. Guidi, R. Scopigno, J. C. Torres, H. Graf, F. Remondino, L. Duranti, P. Brunet, S. Hazan, ... J. Barceló (Eds.), 2015 Digital Heritage International Congress (2015 Digital Heritage): federating the 21st Int'l VSMM, 13th Eurographics GCH, plus special sessions from CIPA ICOMOS/ISPRS Special Heritage Documentation Workshop, CAA Fall Symposium, 7th Int'l Meeting Arqueológica 2.0, Space2Place, Archeovirtual, ICOMOS Digital Interpretation Panel, EU projects, et al. : 28 Sep-2 Oct 2015, Granada, Spain (Vol. 2, pp. 565-572). Piscataway, NJ: IEEE. DOI: 10.1109/DigitalHeritage.2015.7419574 [details] [PDF]
- van der Vaart, M., & Ray, C. A. (2014). Domus: An On-Gallery Digital Museum Experience in Two Parts. In H. Gottlieb, & M. Szeląg (Eds.), Engaging Spaces: Interpretation, Design and Digital Strategies: December 1-3, 2014, Warsaw, Poland: proceedings (pp. 193-200). NODEM. [details] [PDF]
- Boon, T., van der Vaart, M., & Price, K. (2014). Oramics to electronica: investigating lay understandings of the history of technology through a participatory project. Science Museum Group Journal, 1(2). DOI: 10.15180/140206 [details] [PDF]
- Lischke, L., Dingler, T., Schneegaß, S., Schmidt, A., van der Vaart, M., & Wozniak, P. (2014). Parallel Exhibits: Combining Physical and Virtual Exhibits. In H. Gottlieb, & M. Szeląg (Eds.), Engaging Spaces: Interpretation, Design and Digital Strategies: December 1-3, 2014, Warsaw, Poland: proceedings (pp. 149-156). NODEM. [details] [PDF]
- Ray, C. A., & van der Vaart, M. (2013). Towards an Integrative Approach to Interactive Museum Installations. In A. C. Addison, G. Guidi, L. De Luca, & S. Pescarin (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2013 Digital Heritage International Congress (DigitalHeritage): federating the 19th Int'l VSMM, 10th Eurographics GCH, & 2nd UNESCO Memory of the World Conferences, plus special sessions from CAA, Arqueologica 2.0, Space2Place, ICOMOS, ICIP & CIPA, EU projects, et al.: 28 Oct-1 Nov, Marseille, France. - Volume 2 (pp. 701-704). Piscataway, NJ: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. DOI: 10.1109/DigitalHeritage.2013.6744839 [details]
- Damala, A., van der Vaart, M. J., Clarke, L., Hornecker, E., Avram, G., Kockelkorn, H., & Ian, R. (2016). Evaluating tangible and multisensory museum visiting experiences: Lessons learned from the meSch project. In MW2016: Museums and the Web 2016 Museums and the Web LLC. [details]
- Ray, C. A., & van der Vaart, M. J. (2013). Contextualizing Collections: Using Virtual Reality in Archaeology Exhibitions. Exhibitionist, 2013(2), 73-79. [details]