Information Studies: Data Science (track)
In a data rich world, data science is gaining a central position with an increasing potential value for businesses, science and society. Data scientists are needed to give meaning to the sea of data that surrounds us. With the innovative and interdisciplinary Data Science track in the Information Studies Master's Programme, the UvA makes it possible for you to become a skillful expert in this field.
This Master’s programme has been developed in collaboration with Amsterdam Data Science (ADS). Courses are taught by an international team of top scientists and experts from all collaborating institutions.
During this one-year Master’s programme in Data Science you will:
- delve into the main theories and tools used in the field of data science, and develop an integrated view on the latest developments and future possibilities of Data Science in society;
- learn how to translate scientific, societal, and business challenges into data-related questions, identify solutions that are methodologically sound, while taking the ethical and legal aspects into account, communicate results and make well-founded decisions;
- work together with an international group of students from a wide variety of educational backgrounds;
- conduct and evaluate data science projects in a broad range of domains.
Is Data Science at the UvA the study for me?
It is, if you:
- want to translate scientific, societal and business challenges into data related solutions;
- want to learn how to explore and analyse data;
- want to understand how to conduct, assess and evaluate data science projects;
- use your background for data science projects in various domains;
- have experience with programming and statistics;
- like to work together with motivated students, with a broad range of educational backgrounds.
What does Data Science at the UvA have to offer me?
In the one year Data Science Master's track, you will acquire knowledge of the theories and tools used in data science. We will teach you how to use these tools for working with data in different domains, such as Healthcare, Media and Communication, Smart City, Life Sciences and Digital Humanities.
You will benefit from the strong collaboration with ADS, bringing together leading researchers across the entire life cycle of data science, from expertise in machine learning and information retrieval to human computer interaction and large-scale data management.
As a graduate you will have an integrated view on the possibilities and development of data science in society.
- MSc Information Studies
- Regulier onderwijs
- Voltijd, deeltijd
- 60 EC, 12 maanden