Mathematics is a vibrant and versatile field, in which the dividing line between theory and practice is often merely an illusion. By definition infinite, mathematics finds its way into unexpected applications, with new paths always waiting to be explored.
Is Mathematics at the UvA the study for me?
It is, if you:
- are an analytical thinker;
- have profound knowledge of calculus, analysis, topology, algebra and statistics (and basic knowledge of advanced topics like functional analysis, dynamical systems and algebraic topology is recommended);
- enjoy analysing and developing pure and applied mathematical questions;
- seek a precise and complete understanding of mathematics;
- want the advantages of a small-scale programme, where students and staff all know each other.
What does Mathematics at the UvA have to offer me?
This Master's programme reflects the versatility of mathematics: it gives you the opportunity to specialise in a particular mathematical area of your interest, while expanding your knowledge of the whole discipline in general. It focuses on current research topics such as:
- quantum groups;
- moduli spaces;
- function theory of several complex variables;
- applied nonlinear analysis.
The programme is offered in full collaboration with the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. This lets you benefit from the expertise, networks and partnership projects of the UvA as well as the VU Amsterdam. Both universities have an excellent international reputation, and together with the National Research Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI, next to the UvA Faculty of Science) they contribute to Amsterdam's role as a pioneer in (inter)national mathematics research.
The Mathematics programme is also a part of Mastermath: a nationwide collaboration between the Mathematics departments of nine Dutch universities, through which joint courses are organised. These joint courses give you the highest quality of education, and let you interact with staff and students from outside the UvA.
- MSc Mathematics
- Regulier onderwijs
- 120 EC, 24 maanden
- Februari, september