For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Working at the UvA

Registering the birth of a child

Expecting a baby in the Netherlands? Be sure to register your child with the city and to apply for a residence permit if neither you nor your partner is Dutch.

Registering a birth

In the Netherlands, your child must be registered within 3 days of the birth. You, your partner or a person present at the birth must do so in person at a city district office.

How to register your child's birth

Applying for a residence permit

If you and your partner are not Dutch, you will also have to apply for a residence permit for your child. You can do so via the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

How to apply for your child's residence permit