For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!


Sticker placed by foreign police in passport of visitors with a short-stay visa, indicating completion of visa procedure.

ABN-Amro Bank

Bank with which the UvA has a special arrangement whereby foreign employees can open a bank account.

Accelerated visa application procedure ('verkorte MVV-procedure')

Accelerated visa application procedure (verkorte MVV-procedure) Accelerated visa procedure used by the UvA for those who require an MVV.

Amsterdam Municipal Registry Office (Dienst Persoons en Geo-informatie)

Municipal office responsible for registration in municipal personal records database (GBA) and issuing Citizen Service Number (BSN).

Apostilisation ('Apostille-procedure')

Procedure whereby legalisation of document is limited to the placement of what is referred to a an ‘apostille stamp’. Only applicable to countries that are signatories to the ‘Apostille Agreement’.

Authorisation for temporary stay

Authorisation for temporary stay (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf, MVV) is a visa required for a stay of longer than 90 days. It is also needed in order to be able to request a residence permit. Request must be submitted in country of origin or where the applicant is lawfully residing.

‘Bank letter’

UvA letter making it possible to open a bank account more easily.

Birth certificate

The birth certificate (geboorteakte) is an original document which, as a rule, needs to be legalised or apostilised and is required in order to be able to register with the municipal personal records database (GBA).

Citizen Service Number

The Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN) is a unique social-fiscal number issued to everyone registered in the GBA and used in all communications of (government) agencies with citizens.

The BSN was formerly called the Sofinummer.

EEA (European Economic Area) countries

EU countries (see below) plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. (N.B. Swiss nationals are treated as EU/EEA citizens).

Euraxess The Netherlands

Dutch Mobility Portal aimed at providing mobile researchers wishing to work and live in the Netherlands with updated, correct and easily accessible information concerning all matters related to their professional stay and daily lives.

EU countries

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg,Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

EU Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Card entitling you to necessary medical care during temporary stay abroad. Only valid in EEA countries (i.e. EU countries plus Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland).

Expatcenter Amsterdam

Office where highly skilled migrants collect their residence permit and register in the municipal personal records database (GBA).

Foreign Police

The Foreign Police (Vreemdelingenpolitie) is a division of Dutch police that issues stickers (aantekeningen/toezicht) to those requiring short-stay visas (VKV).

Highly skilled migrants

Highly skilled migrants (kennismigranten) are foreign academics or other experts who are issued a specific kind of residence permit allowing them to change employers on the basis of the same residence permit. They do not require a work permit (TWV).

Immigration and Naturalisation Service

The Immigration and Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, IND) is a division of the Dutch Ministry of Justice that is responsible for issuing MVVs and residence permits.

IND Desk Amsterdam

The IND Desk Amsterdam (IND-loket Amsterdam) is a local IND office where EU/EEA citizens register and apply for and collect their return visas, and where non-highly skilled migrants submit their residence permit applications.

IND Desk Hoofddorp

The IND Desk Hoofddorp (IND-loket Hoofddorp) is the local IND office where EU/EEA citizens register and apply for and collect their return visas, and where non-highly skilled migrants submit their residence permit applications.


Process verifying that a document has been issued by the relevant authority and that the signature on the document is that of the signee.

Liability insurance

Liability insurance (wettelijke aansprakelijkheidsverzekering, WA) is insurance covering damage incurred by third parties.

Marriage certificate

A Marriage certificate (huwelijksakte) is an original marriage certificate which in most cases must be legalised or apostilised and is required in order for a residence permit to be issued to the accompanying partner.

Minimum wage

Minimum wage (minimumloon) is the lowest hourly, weekly or monthly wage an employer may legally pay to an employee by way of a salary. Always expressed in terms of a gross amount, i.e. before taxes and social insurance premiums have been deducted.

Municipal personal records database

The Municipal personal records database (Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie Persoonsgegevens, GBA) is a database that includes all necessary information regarding all its residents. Every Dutch citizen or resident must be registered in the GBA. The data is completely automated and can be exchanged between different GBAs.


This is a public transport smart card. There are two different kinds: the personalised OV-chipkaart and the anonymous OV-chipkaart. You can reload the e-purse on both of these cards and travel anywhere with either type of card.

Public healthcare insurance

Public healthcare insurance (basisverzekering) is a mandatory basic healthcare insurance for all persons who are lawfully employed in the Netherlands that covers basic healthcare costs as determined by the Dutch government.

Registration statement

A registration statement (verklaring van inschrijving) is issued to EU/EEA citizens when they register at the IND. It is useful when applying for health insurance or a mortgage.

Residence permit

A residence permit (verblijfsvergunning regulier, VVR) is required by non-EU/ EEA nationals intending to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days. Most nationalities must have an MVV before they can apply for a residence permit.

Return visa

A return visa (terugkeervisum) is required by those whose ‘D’ MVV has expired and who are still waiting for their residence permit, but who wish to leave and return to the Netherlands in the meantime.

Schengen zone

The Schengen zone (Schengengebied) refers to an area within which free movement of persons is permitted. In addition to the Netherlands, it includes Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Short-stay visa

A short-stay visa (visum kort verblijf, VKV) is a visa for a maximum of 90 days. It must be requested by the person him/herself in the country of birth or where the applicant is lawfully residing at the time.


This is the former name of the Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer)  a unique social-fiscal number (still) used by the Dutch Tax Office (Belastingdienst) for those staying in the Netherlands for less than four months.

Tax Administration

The Dutch Tax Offi (Belastingdienst) issues Citizen Service Numbers, in this case known as Sofinummers, for those who are staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months.

Tuberculosis test

A tuberculosis test (TB-test) is a test in which lung X-rays are made by the Public Health Service. It is required for citizens of certain countries before a residence permit can be issued.


This is a sticker issued by IND confirming that the application for a residence permit has been submitted by a migrant worker or highly skilled migrant and is being processed. Highly skilled migrants can only start work after this sticker has been issued.

Work permit

A work permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV) is requested, where applicable, by the UvA on behalf of future employees. It is free of charge and may be required to obtain a residence permit.