For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Working at the UvA

Registering with your municipality and getting a ‘BSN’

If you intend to live in the Netherlands for over 4 months, you must register with your local municipality. This is a mandatory procedure irrespective of your nationality. If you are moving within the Netherlands, you must inform your new municipality of your arrival.

The registration is done in person at your local town or city hall. All family members that will be registered must be present. No registration fees apply. You have to bring the following documents: valid passport or identity card, legalised birth certificate, and a proof of address. If you are accompanied by your spouse, you must also bring your legalised marriage certificate. If you have any children with you in the Netherlands, their legalised birth certificates are also required.

Upon registration you are assigned a Citizen Service Number (BSN), which government agencies use in all correspondence with you.

The GBA Amsterdam is located at the Amsterdam Municipal Registry Office (Dienst Persoons- en Geoinformatie), Amstel 1, 1011 PN Amsterdam. You can register as soon as you have a rental or purchase contract for accommodation. Registration takes place by appointment only. Please contact the Staff Immigration Office to schedule this appointment for you.