The presentations will be in Dutch, but an interpreter will be on hand to provide live translation into English. You can pick up a head set at the entrance.
14:30 Doors open
15:00 Official opening:
- President of the Executive Board Geert ten Dam will talk about the vital importance of science to society. We want to do inspired work in a free academic setting that values debate. How can we keep our academic spirit alive and kicking?
- Philosopher Laureate of the Netherlands and UvA lecturer Daan Roovers will talk about ‘Public knowledge’: what is the relationship between academic expertise and the public now that all the world’s information can be found on the internet?
- Music by Any Blue Koor, one of CREA’s permanent choirs, led by singing teacher and choir director Mirjam van Dam.
- Moataz Rageb, Master’s student of Sociology and former student assessor will read a spoken column, ‘Students for Amsterdam’. Read an interview with Moataz.
- Do you FanSea a Straw? With their startup, students Jasper Luijendijk, Michelle Nierop and Vera van Laarhoven use the oceans’ own potential to help tackle plastic pollution.
- Amade M’charek, professor of Anthroplogy of Science, presents a visual essay, ‘Traces of displacement’. She argues that care for the dead bodies and belongings of migrant victims allows us to broaden and redefine forensics. Read an interview with Amade M'charek.
- Portraits of scientific engagement in society, filmed by students of the Master’s in Journalism and Media.
16:30 Drinks at the Maagdenhuis