The UvA orchestra J. Pzn Sweelinck and Stichting Leukemie (The Leukaemia Foundation
) are organizing a benefit day on Thursday, 17 June 2010. Eighty young students will be giving their all for Stichting Leukemie at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. The programme consists of a children's concert, reading and an evening concert.
During the evening concert the Sweelinck orchestra will play a composition by the Flemish composer Dirk Brossé. An accompanying film directed by Lucas van Woerkum will be shown at the same time. The music and filmboth portray the story of a girl suffering from leukaemia, thus throwing a special light on this sickness.
The proceeds from the concert will go to the Academic Medical Center (AMC-UvA) and the leukaemia research of Professor Ton Hagenbeek and Professor Rien van Oers.
Children's concert, where Jacques Vriens will read from his book ‘Achtste-groepers huilen niet (Eighth graders don't cry)
Lezing: Inleiding op het benefietconcert met de volgende sprekers:
- Gijs Beukhof, voorzitter Stichting Leukemie - een maatschappelijke blik op leukemie
- Lucas van Woerkum, filmmaker - over de film ‘Sophia'
- Dr. Arnon Kater, hematoloog AMC - over het onderzoek dat wordt gesteund
Reading: Introduction to the benefit concert by the following speakers:
- - Gijs Beukhof, president of Stichting Leukemie - a look at the social impact of leukaemia
- - Lucas van Woerkum, film maker - talk about the film ‘Sophia'
- - Dr Arnon Kater, haematologist AMC-UvA - about the research that is being supported
Debussy - Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
Dirk Brossé - Sophia, with screening of the film by Lucas Van Woerkum
Sibelius - Symphony no.2
Golden TicketsBy buying a golden ticket you help support this benefit project. A golden ticket is a passé-partout for the whole day and costs just €50. See link below for more information.
About Stichting LeukemieStichting Leukemie is dedicated to fighting leukaemia and related forms of bone marrow and blood illnesses in patients of all ages. It does this through the financial support of research. The research can relate to the origins or treatment of leukaemia. Moreoever, Stichting Leukemie supports leukaemia patients by giving accurate information and sharing experience.