The cost of a student residence permit and visa (called MVV) is €195. This fee is not refundable.
- The procedure can take several months. Your visa has to be approved before the start of your programme (1 February or 1 September).
- Please note that the UvA cannot guarantee that a visa is granted by a certain date, or at all. If you arrange travel to the Netherlands without knowing that your visa will be granted on time, you do so at your own risk.
Duration of your Residence Permit
- Student residence permits will be issued for the duration of the nominal study programme plus three months.
- The nominal duration of study programme is three years for a Bachelor’s programme and one or two years for a Master’s programme.
50% Minimum Threshold
- By law you need to attain at least 50% of the credits of your study programme each year. If you do not attain the 50% threshold, the UvA will verify whether there is an excusable reason for you to be exempted from the threshold.
- If you are not exempted, the UvA has to inform the IND and your student residence permit will be withdrawn.
Requirements of the Pick Up location of your entry visa (MVV)
It is not possible to apply for a visa while in the Netherlands, nor is it possible to study at the university if you travel to the Netherlands on a tourist visa. You can only pick up a visa in a country other than the one corresponding with your nationality if you have had legal stay in that country for more than three months. In other words, you cannot pick up your visa at a vacation destination. It is also not possible to have the visa issued in the Netherlands.
Exception for students with Schengen Long Stay Visa
If you have a residence permit or a long stay visa issued by a Schengen state, you do not need an entry visa for the Netherlands. You can find information about the Schengen countries here.