For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Other programmes

Citizens of Australia, Canada, and New Zealand

Two types of residence permits

Two types of student residence permits exist. Please follow the links below to find out what kind of permit is best for you:

  • Student Residence Permit
  • Working Holiday Scheme Permit
  • Student Residence Permit

    Cost: €195

    The UvA will process the application for a residence permit for the purposes of study on your behalf. If you are planning to study at the UvA for more than one year, or you already went on exchange before, this residence permit on the basis of study is your option.

    • Please note: your residence permit has to be approved before the start of your programme (1 February or 1 September). 
    • Read more about the Student residence permit application.
  • Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) Permit

    Costs: €57

    The Working Holiday Scheme (WHS) is a mutual cultural exchange programme which makes it possible to apply for a residence permit to stay in one of the participating countries. The main goal of the programme is to get acquainted with Dutch culture and society. During your stay, you are allowed to follow a short study/course.

    You need to fulfil certain criteria to be able to apply for this permit.

    • You are 18 years of age or older (but younger than 31) at the moment of application.
    • You will stay in the Netherlands up to one year.
    • You have not applied for this type of permit before.

As the WHS can only be applied for by you in person at the IND (Dutch Immigration, we will make an appointment for you - during your Start Appointment - to apply for the WHS at the Immigration Service (IND) in Amsterdam.

Start Appointment

After you have successfully submitted your file for immigration, you will receive an invitation for a Start Appointment upon your arrival.