For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
Other programmes

Visas and permits

Study visa and study residence permit

In order to be able to study in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for a residence permit and/or an entry visa. This depends on your nationality.

Choose your nationality:

More information

  • Financial proof

    Information for prospective students

    For the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) you need to provide us with financial proof showing that you have sufficient financial means to cover both your living expenses and your tuition fees.

    Read more

  • More than one nationality

    If you have more than one nationality, you may choose which nationality you would like to use. If one of these nationalities is EU/EEA or Swiss, we recommend to use this nationality, as then you will not need a residence permit.

  • Schengen Area

    Residence permits arranged by the UvA will allow you to travel freely (up to 90 days every six months) in the Schengen Area, which makes trips to Spain, France, Germany and other European countries possible.

  • Extending your residence permit
    • You must extend your residence permit before your current one expires. You can start the application for the extension of your residence permit 3 months before the expiration date of your current residence permit.
    • The costs of an extension of your residence permit are €180.

    Residence permit extension

  • Staying after graduation

    When you graduate from the UvA, you may apply for a one-year residence permit in order to search for employment in the Netherlands. This is called an Orientation Year Permit. For more information, follow the link below.

    Orientation Year Permit

  • Contact

    If you have questions after reading the information on our website, you can talk to us directly during our telephone consultation hours:

    • Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 10:00-11:00
    • Tuesday and Thursday between 15:00-16:00
    • Call us at +31 (0)20-525 5375