Tips for finding accommodation on your own
- Affordable housing in Amsterdam is scarce, so begin your search early.
- Also consider a room in nearby towns, such as Diemen, Zaandam, Almere, Purmerend, Haarlem, or Hoofddorp.
- Also consider a temporary room (1 - 3 months) as a good option to start with.
- Please be aware of scams while searching for accommodation on various platforms (such as Facebook). Check the Iamsterdam website for tips on how to avoid housing scams.
- The Erasmus Student Network (ESN) has made a survival guide on how to find a room independently, please visit their website for tips and tricks.
- The ASVA Student Union provides general information about renting a room in Amsterdam and can act as a room mediator between students and landlords. They also provide guidelines on what to consider when viewing a room. For more information, please visit their webpage.
- Consult our list of websites and organisations that offer rooms for students:
Register with Dutch student housing websites
If you decide to stay in Amsterdam for longer than one year, we strongly advise you to register on Studentenwoningweb.nl and ROOM.nl as soon as possible, since these are waiting time-based platforms. This means that, out of all students responding to a listing, the room is offered to the student ranked highest on the waiting list. You can check room.nl/en/recently-rented to find the registration times of students that were allocated a room through ROOM.
Registration on these websites is an important backup measure if UvA is unable to provide you with a room and/or it will prepare you for finding housing after your first year.
Webinars with tips & tricks
Finding housing is difficult in Amsterdam. To help students who are currently on the search, the International Student Housing Office hosts a webinar on how to find accommodation on your own.
- What to expect: a short presentation with general tips and tricks followed by the opportunity to ask your questions to the housing team and experienced student ambassadors.
- What not to expect: a listing of rental agencies to contact. These you can find in How to find a room (PDF, 2 p.).
On 25 May 2022, we hosted a webinar on what to expect and what not to expect on the private market during your search for accommodation in Amsterdam.
Recordings of earlier webinars
- A similar Housing webinar was hosted on 12 january 2022. Watch the recording of 12 January 2022