For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Orientation year residence permit

Students who have obtained a degree in the Netherlands can opt for an orientation year residence permit after graduation.

The orientation year residence permit allows you to stay in the Netherlands for one year after graduation to look for a job. Check the IND website for the conditions and more information on applying for the orientation residence permit. Please note that you have to apply for this permit directly to the IND and not through the UvA.

Already have an orientation year residence permit and starting a new study programme

If you have an orientation year residence permit and want to start a new study programme, you can start your programme with your valid orientation year permit.

If your orientation year permit expires during your programme, you can contact the UvA Immigration team to change the purpose of your permit to study. For more information about how to change the purpose of your permit, check the details on how to change the purpose of your permit to ‘study’.

Discontinuing your study

When you defer or cancel your enrolment as a UvA student, we are obligated by Dutch law to inform the IND about your deregistration as our student. Your residence permit will be revoked by the IND using your date of deregistration from the UvA. The rule here is simple: when you are not studying at the UvA, the UvA won’t be able to sponsor your residence permit.

If you plan to defer your enrolment and temporarily halt your enrolment, you also have to deregister as a UvA student. This means that we have to notify the IND about your deregistration, and the IND will revoke your residence permit per the date of your deregistration. We will invite you again for the immigration process within 3 months before your study programme starts and apply for a new residence permit (with an MVV entry visa when applicable).