For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.
Ancient Studies
Compare programmes

Study advising

Binding advice regarding continuation of studies: BSA

All first-year students at the Faculty of Humanities are required to pass at least 48 out of 60 ECTS credits at the end of their first year. On several occasions throughout the first year students, receive academic tutoring; enabling them to take timely action in case they fall behind. At the end of the first year, students receive a binding advice regarding continuation of studies, called ‘the BSA’. If you have obtained 48 ECTS or more at the end of the first year of study, you will be issued a binding positive advice regarding continuation of studies and may continue your Bachelor's programme in the next academic year. If you have obtained less than 48 ECTS, you will be issued a binding negative advice regarding continuation of studies. In this case, you will not be allowed to re-enrol for the Bachelor's programme for which you were issued a binding negative advice regarding continuation of studies in the next academic year.


In order to ease the transition to university life, each student will be allocated a lecturer over the course of the first year who will act as tutor. The tutorial programme is linked to a specific course in the first semester and will continue until the end of the Bachelor's programme. Your tutor will serve as your first point of contact for any questions regarding the curricular aspects of the degree programme. You can discuss your study progress and choices with your appointed tutor. 

Studying with a disability

Prospective students who wish to know more about studying with a disability are welcome to contact the study adviser.

Study adviser

Study advisers can help you with questions regarding admission requirements, exemptions and the various options offered by your degree programme. You can also seek help from a study adviser if you are incurring a study completion delay or experiencing personal problems.

You can make an appointment with one of our study advisers via E: