Would you like to find out if Psychology is the right programme for you? Introductions are available throughout the year. Sign up to attend the UvA Bachelor’s Week or find an overview of all our events.
The study programme
Human behaviour often appears to be predictable. But on closer inspection, it turns out to be less obvious than you think. Can behaviour ever be understood? And can it – where necessary – be influenced?
This programme not only looks at the general characteristics of human behaviour, but focuses particularly on differences between behaviour: How do people respond to stress? Why does one person perform better at school than another? Why is one person friendly and relaxed while another may often seem tense and stressed? These questions are explored in the Psychology Bachelor’s programme.
Dylan Molenaar (lecturer) gives you a short taster of the Bachelor's programme. He will explain the content of the programme, and what type of careers it will prepare you for. Maaike talks about her experience as a Psychology student.
Graduates find employment in a range of different positions, depending on the major:
- HR officer
- sports psychologist
- test developer
- information specialist
- school psychologist
Is Psychology for you?
If the bullet points below apply to you, then this programme could be a good fit:
- You are fascinated by people and their behaviour.
- You are interested in what drives people, in their skills, emotions, development and the way in which they interact.
- One of the most important instruments available to the psychologist is research. By using scientific methods to do research, a psychologist can gain insight into human behaviours. You can be critical when necessary.
- You have a pre-university diploma equivalent to a Dutch VWO diploma.
- You must have pre-university-level Mathematics because of the amount of research and statistics in the programme.
Please note that the Bachelor's programme has a Numerus Fixus. This means the programme has 600 places available.