Erasmus+ or SEMP Exchange
You can apply for the Erasmus+ or SEMP exchange programme of the Faculty of Science if:
- Your university has an Erasmus+ or SEMP exchange agreement with the University of Amsterdam's Faculty of Science, and
- You are nominated for an exchange at the Faculty of Science by the Erasmus+ or SEMP coordinator of your faculty or home university, and
- You have received an invitation from the University of Amsterdam to start you application.
Deadlines and academic calendar
The application deadline for the Faculty of Science Erasmus+/SEMP exchange programme is:
- 1 May: for the first semester/full year starting in September
(nomination deadline for home university: 1 April)
- 15 October: for the second semester starting in February
(nomination deadline for home university: 1 October)
Exchange students enrolled for courses at the UvA are required to be in Amsterdam when the courses start. You will not be allowed to take a course if you have missed the first class(es). Keep in mind that the academic year in the Netherlands may differ from your home country. Please visit our academic calendar website to verify the start date of your exchange semester.
Bachelor's (undergraduate) level:
- Students holding an EU nationality applying for bachelor courses (except courses in Future Planet Studies) can hand in their Online Linguistic Support (OLS) results. The minimum required level is B2.
- Students holding a non-EU nationality who are applying for bachelor courses must show proof of English proficiency by handing in one of the official tests indicated below. OLS is not accepted.
- Students applying for courses of the bachelor programme Future Planet Studies must show proof of English proficiency by handing in one of the official tests indicated below. OLS is not accepted.
Master's (graduate) level
Students applying for master courses must always show proof of English proficiency by one of the official tests indicated below. OLS is not accepted.
- TOEFL (ibt): Minimum 90 overall score. Minimum score 20 per component.
- IELTS (academic): Minimum 6,5-7 overall score, depending on the programme. Minimum score 6 per component.
- Cambridge CPE / Cambridge CAE: Minimum grade C.
The following students do not have to upload an official proof of English proficiency:
- Native speakers are not required to hand in a proof of English proficiency. They can upload their transcript of records instead of the proof of English proficiency.
- Students holding an EU nationality who are enrolled in a fully English taught bachelor or master programme at their home university, can upload a statement from their home university's exchange officer or other official stating their study programme is fully taught in English.
NOTE: Exchange students who wish to participate in Dutch taught courses must have obtained the Dutch NT2 (programme II, B2).
After the Faculty of Science accepts your nomination by your home university, you will receive a UvA net ID (student number) and an invitation to start the application.
The University of Amsterdam will send you two emails.
The first email will contain instructions on how to apply and information on the University of Amsterdam and your exchange. Please read this email carefully.
The second email will be sent within one working day after the first email, and will include your UvAnetID (student number).
Activate your UvAnetID as instructed in the second email.
Make sure to carefully read the information on the Faculty of Science exchange website (uva.nl/exchange-science), mainly the Courses page.
Once you have done so and once you have activated your UvAnetID, you can go to the student portal sis.uva.nl, log in with your UvAnetID, and click on ‘My Admissions’ to submit your application.
Please note that you will need to upload the following documents in PDF format with your application in the SIS student portal:
- Transcript of records in English (with digital verification or signature and stamp) - please note that master students need to upload both their bachelor and master transcripts
- List of courses in progress, with number of EC/credits per course
- Scan of passport (non-EU/EU) or ID card (EU) (front and back)
- Proof of English proficiency - see 'Language requirements' for additional information
Within six weeks after the application deadline all students will receive information on the status of their application. Once we have positively evaluated your application, we will contact you about course enrolment. Please note that the course enrolment for Science exchange students is done after the regular course enrolment period of the University of Amsterdam.
For more information see After application.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be processed.