Excellent job opportunities await graduates of the University of Amsterdam's Graduate School of Communication.
The career prospects for our alumni are good. A recent poll among our alumni (2017) showed that most graduates found paid positions matching their profile within two to three months after graduation (n=231).
The two-year Research Master’s programme qualifies graduates for jobs in which analytical rigor and research are central. A degree in Communication Science (research) provides a solid background for working in among others:
- advertising and media agencies
- public opinion and market research companies
- (semi-)governmental research organizations
- PR and consultancy
- new media companies
- international, national and local governments and NGO’s
- major corporations such as Google or Booking.com
- Teaching in higher education programs
Graduates are also in an excellent position to pursue a further academic career through the conduct of a funded PhD research project in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Would you like to practice your job interview skills? Craft a LinkedIn strategy that could get you hired? Or would you simply like to know more about the labour market in the Netherlands? The advisers at the UvA Student Careers Centre can help you students of the UvA with information, workshops and individual vocational counselling to find out what you want, get insight into your capabilities and competences, make choices and improve your application skills in order to achieve your goals.
- Five times a year, the Graduate School of Communication hosts a colloquium series called Communication Science on the Spot. During these sessions, a communication professional is interviewed by a Graduate School lecturer or researcher. Attendees are always encouraged to ask questions and join the conversation in order to help stimulate a lively debate. Previous speakers include Maurice de Hond, Geerte Udo (iAmserdam), Kay van de Linde and Ashley Vinson (Twitter).
- We regularly organise events and workshops under the name Career Matters that help you prepare yourself for entry into the job market. The workshops are designed to help you gain practical, relevant skills that will help improve your employability after graduation. Think of topics related to online marketing for example, such as Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Google Analytics or Social Advertising, or to the field of journalism, such as writing an effective press release or a journalistic blog.
- Master’s students are warmly welcomed to the events organised by the Alumni Circle Communication Science. The meetings and workshops are a perfect opportunity to start building a professional network and to stay informed of the latest developments in the field. The events are announced on the Alumni Circle’s Facebook Page as well as on the AUV website.