Would you like to find out if the Research Master’s (Academic track) in Communication Science is the right programme for you? Sign up to attend the next Master’s Week or register to receive updates about the Master’s programme.
Discover the two tracks of the Research Master’s
There are two different types of Research Master's offered by the Graduate School of Communication. The academic track is tailored to students who have the ambition to pursue a PhD after graduation. The professional track is tailored to students who have the ambition to pursue a career in research outside academia:
- Research Master's (Academic Track)
- Research Master's (Professional Track)
In what seems like an instant, we have witnessed significant transformations in both the media we use to communicate – and the ways in which we communicate. Digital media, in particular, have ushered in an era where the digital landscape is fundamentally reshaped by us and for us. Whether it is news and politics, entertainment, health, or commerce, technological transformations have heightened both the opportunities and undesirable consequences that individuals experience throughout their personal and professional lives.
It is here, that we see the necessity for Communication Science: the theoretical and empirical study of the production, contents, meanings, and effects of mediated communication for individuals, organisations, and societies. In the Research Master’s you will study cutting-edge communication science research by combining theoretical courses about political, persuasive, corporate, or entertainment communication, with extensive methodological coursework and hands-on experience by carrying out communication research at an academic institution.
Why study Communication Science at the UvA?
The lecturers and supervisors of the Research Master's programme are all academic staff members of the Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR). ASCoR is the largest research institute of its kind in Europe and among the largest worldwide.
Due to an extensive focus on advanced quantitative and qualitative research skills, you will be able to independently carry out high-quality scientific research after completion of this programme. The Research Master (Academic track) is excellent preparation for a successful PhD position.
The knowledge and skills acquired during the programme course also provide an effective grounding for positions in:
- Communication research (academic researcher, media researcher, market researcher and public opinion researcher)
- Communication consultancy (communication consultant, business scientist)
- Management (programme director, research director)
- Communication advice (publishing, public information expert, advertising or PR consultant, communication consultant)
- Management (publisher, programme director, research agency)
Is the Academic Research Master's Communication Science for you?
- enjoy doing research and would like to be part of the academic research community?
- like a challenge? Research in Communication Science is complicated.
- find Communication Science deeply fascinating and cannot wait to explore the field?
- consider doing a PhD after your graduation?
- feel motivated to get the most out of your Master's programme and want to be challenged by your lecturers and fellow students?
Then the Academic track of Research Master's is the right Master's track for you!