Where do our graduates work?
Specific career examples from alumni are:
- PhD research positions at the UvA and other universitites such as Leuven, London, Vienna and Kentucky
- Research positions outside academia like
- a research coordinator at the Deltametropool foundation,
- a research coordinator at the Dutch Office for Cultural Heritage (Rijksdienst Cultureel Erfgoed)
- researcher of real estate plans at the publishing company Elsevier
- a researcher at Platform31 (a knowledge and network organisation for urban development).
- Policy-makers for a municipality, a province or a national ministry
- Consultants in the private sector like real estate development, project development or environmental development projects
Students in this Research Master’s programme acquire a solid foundation in state-of-the-art theories and debates in urban studies, in particular in the sub-fields of Urban Geography, Urban and Regional Planning, Economic Geography and Urban Sociology. In our methodology courses, specific attention is given to combining qualitative and quantitative methods in mixed-method approaches and to comparative case study approaches.
Career coaching during your Research Master’s
You can make use of a wide variety of career tools and support from the UvA Student Careers Centre (SCC) during your studies. The SCC organises career events, workshops, training courses, as well as CV checks, interview practice sessions and much more.
The UvA Student Careers Centre organises several events for Bachelor's and Master's students from all disciplines. They include workshops, labour market trends, inspiring speakers, CV check, contact with employers, having a professional LinkedIn photo taken and best practises for applying to jobs.