For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Practical housing matters

This page contains information about municipal taxes, insurances and other practical housing matters.

  • Hygiene
    • As Amsterdam is also popular amongst all kinds of vermin, it is very important to keep the apartment clean. Read more about pest control.
    • Rubbish should be thrown into the collective rubbish containers. Read more about waste and recycling.
  • Nuisance

    If you experience problems with your neighbours, and you have not been able to solve these problems yourself:

    • Firstly, always contact your housing corporation and your UvA housing officer. The corporation may be able to act as a mediator between you and your neighbours.
    • Housing corporations have contacts with various services providing mediation, such as Meldpunt Zorg en Overlast and Beter Buren. You can also contact these organisations yourself.
  • Subletting

    In certain cases, subletting is permitted, for example in case of field work or personal circumstances. You need to apply for this through the UvA Staff Housing office (please ask your housing officer for contact details).

  • Pets

    Unfortunately, pets are not allowed. Exceptions are made for emotional support animals and assistance dogs.

  • Safety and emergencies
    • All accommodations should have a smoke alarm, plus a carbon monoxide alarm for an accommodation with heating that runs on gas. In case these alarms are missing, please call the maintenance department of your housing corporation.
    • In case of an emergency, dial 112.
    • In case of a (suspected) gas leak, dial 0800-9009.
    • In a non-emergency situation, you can contact the police via 0900-8844.
    • In case of any damage to the building: please call the maintenance department of your housing corporation. You can find the contact details on the housing corporation’s website.
    • Always inform your housing officer about the situation.

Go to Application procedure

Go to Costs

Go to UvA Staff housing homepage